Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Haha, this looks familiar. Our 1920s balloon-construction house w/ brick exterior has some bulging/lean going on, but the structural engineer who looked at it prior to us purchasing it said it'll survive a 30 year mortgage (not that we're staying that long). Ours has an iron railing too; I personally think they look good with the brick. Just be happy your interior isn't hundred-year-old plaster (I know plaster is so cool and old and a lost art and all the other things people that don't have to deal with it say, but gently caress this poo poo; sometimes you want to be able to cut a hole for an outlet or fish some wire without it turning into an ordeal).

If there's one thing looking at this and my neighbor's house's really messy "fix it quick" joints is telling me, it's that I should continue practicing sticking two bricks together and jointing them until I can do it without making it look like that.

I don't know if this is your first house, but from checking out friends' first houses closely, it seems to be that there's some mickey mouse bullshit in every house (some more than others....kastein).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
From what I've read, Defiant is a Kwikset re-brand exclusively carried at Home Depot, and apparently both Kwikset and Defiant are total garbage. I'm actually looking for a quality dead-bolt and latch combo myself so I'm interested in suggestions on that front as well.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Is that rotted joist sistered up to a good one or is the picture throwing me off?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Wow. So what's the plan? Jack it up and sister with a legit joist?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
That enormous notch in that joist for the foundation vent is nuts, but I don't know what the standard "approved" fix would be. Possibly just a fresh full length joist far enough in to allow the foundation vent to still do its job?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Did you use the tool to smooth those joints or a piece of copper or something? They look good.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Wow, you in sales or something? That's a ton of travel.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
oh hai denny

Nice, it's always good to come home and find the place in the same condition you left it. I came home from work last week and one of the supply lines on my washer had frozen and sprung a leak (just walked in the door and heard *pssshhhhhhh*). What's lucky/dumb is that the washer/dryer are in this crappy, un-insulated, not-at-all-to-code add-on on the back of the house, so while it's good the actual house was never in danger of having any kind of serious water damage, it wouldn't have happened in the first place if it wasn't in a crappy un-insulated add-on.

One of my uncles runs a fire and water damage remediation company and has said that people could avoid so much trouble/expense if they just got in the habit of turning off their main water supply line before going away on vacation/an extended amount of time. Not bad advice I think if you don't have pets/someone house-sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
drat man, nice job on the repoint though.

• Locked thread