Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Peven Stan posted:

Lisbon's rent control is pretty awesome and long time residents pay like 30 euros a month for rent in a hot area. It also gives the city a distressed and authentically shabby look. A win-win in my book. Rent controls aren't an economic policy but a political one designed to reward incumbent renters at the expense of new residents coming in.

I am very doubtful about legislating to help fix people geographically in place, if that is the effect. That seems like the recipe for economic death spirals where people are in locations where there aren't any jobs or investment, but can't leave because they risk losing their rent benefits.

I am not in principle opposed to the idea of rent control, but I think it is also foolish to reject the reservations of the vast majority of economists as 'neoliberal bias'. I suspect it is much more effective for the state to just build houses than futz around with price controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Fortunately for politicians (and unfortunate for the aspergers ridden economics discipline) rent is only one factor in why people move to or away from a particular city. Almost like real life is not full of frictionless surfaces????

Is it truly necessary to look at things in black and white terms? I am not in fact saying that it is impossible for people to leave. I am however saying that the idea has a negative consequence in that it makes it more difficult for poor people to move in search of work and opportunities, and that I find it difficult to see why societies should favour people who don't travel over people who do.

Thanks for the strawman and autism shaming?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Lmao if you think the only thing holding back the working poor in Detroit or East St. Louis is because they're staying due to rent controls. Man you people have to have brain damage or something. Lisbon, NYC, SF are all places where the jobs go, not the other way around.

I already told you this is a strawman. Freaking hell.

Rent control does not have to be the 'only thing holding back the working poor' to make legislation that promotes staying in the same geographic location a bad thing that exacerbates inequality. Reducing the financial costs of moving around is something that in general softens one of the main advantages that the rich have over the poor. Jobs go to these places, then jobs leave those places - thus we need to help poor people to follow around changes in the job market.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 18, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

OwlBot 2000 posted:

If you're going to quote polls of mainstream economists, let's find out what other opinions are popular:

A cut in federal income tax rates in the US right now would lead to higher GDP within five years than without the tax cut.
35% agree, 8% disagree

Public school students would receive a higher quality education if they all had the option of taking the government money currently being spent on their own education and turning that money into vouchers that they could use towards covering the costs of any private school or public school of their choice (e.g. charter schools).
36% agree, 19% disagree

Connecticut should pass its Senate Bill 60, which states... During a “severe weather event emergency, no person within the chain of distribution of consumer goods and services shall sell or offer to sell consumer goods or services for a price that is unconscionably excessive."
5% agree, 38% disagree.

Yikes. And after 2008, I don't know how seriously you should take the neoclassical synthesis Econ 101 textbooks which often treat the Laffer Curve as something other than a joke, argue that minimum wages and unions kill economies, and promote trickle-down garbage that has been thoroughly discredited.

Let's cite specific studies instead of appealing to neoliberal received doctrine.

1. That is because the question is proposing a tax cut *without* a spending cut. A tax cut is a direct, albeit inefficient, stimulus measure. The core point is that economists agree, because economists think increasing the deficit is not as bad as the media think, and while a tax cut fueled boom might lead to a bust down the line, it would not be within 5 years, probably.

I will note that NOT A SINGLE economist agreed with part B of the question - the Laffer curve argument that lower taxes increases government revenue.

2. I don't know enough about the US public schools system to comment. It might well be the case that the current system is sufficiently broken that vouchers would be am improvement in the short term.

3. Economists think price controls are dumb, news at 11. Especially during a severe weather emergency where you are not going to be able to spare law enforcement to police people for selling their flatscreen tvs too expensively.

Despite your cherry picking, these opinions seem pretty reasonable to me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Indeed, let's look at some other points, shall we?

I've already pointed out that your own link shows that 0% of economists agree with the Laffer curve idea of lower taxes = more revenue, while 71% disagree.

Do mainstream economics, those doyens of neoliberal bias, in fact think the minimum wage kills economies?

http://www.igmchicago.org/igm-economic-experts-panel/poll-results?SurveyID=SV_br0IEq5a9E77NMV

quote:

Question B:

The distortionary costs of raising the federal minimum wage to $9 per hour and indexing it to inflation are sufficiently small compared with the benefits to low-skilled workers who can find employment that this would be a desirable policy.
47% agree, 11% disagree.

What about government spending, what do they think?

http://www.igmchicago.org/igm-economic-experts-panel/poll-results?SurveyID=SV_9yTmaqlHpp1JzH7

quote:

Question A: Because the US has underspent on new projects, maintenance, or both, the federal government has an opportunity to increase average incomes by spending more on roads, railways, bridges and airports. (The experts panel previously voted on this question on May 23, 2013. Those earlier results can be found here.)
82% agree, 0% disagree.

What about discrimination against minorities?

http://www.igmchicago.org/igm-economic-experts-panel/poll-results?SurveyID=SV_ahhcfL33JZHnCqV

quote:

Question A: Employers that discriminate in hiring will be at a competitive disadvantage, if their customers do not care about their mix of employees, compared with firms that do not discriminate.
72% agree, 4% disagree.

In the past years, after from a few pet economists of the right, mainstream economic opinion has been overwhelming in support of the left's positions. Why are we allowing anti-intellectualism to stop us from leveraging this? Why are we playing the right wing's game, by pretending its all about ideology, when actually people doing research say the facts are in general on our side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

So your proposal is to use mass eminent domain to seize properties, apparently arbitrarily, in city centres. I'm sure this would work out well......

• Locked thread