Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nintendo Kid posted:

A large city might be able to drop in 100 if buildings like these, there's your room for 400,000 people, larger than the population of the city proper of all cities below Minneapolis. You're not going to get so many more people moving to whatever cities to fill them all up and still lack housing in the rest of the city.

I don't understand. How will you lack housing if you keep building housing units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jacobin had a write up addressing New York's housing cost issue and criticizes de Blasio's plan.

Interesting read: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/10/de-blasios-doomed-housing-plan/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Prior to this I never knew that public housing could substitute private housing so easily for low and lower income citizens. Very interesting.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

It's a good idea just because it's easier and more efficient for the government just to own and run rent-subsidized housing for the poor than it is to give the subsidy money to private landlords or try to fix prices

Is Sweden the only nation that has experimented with this? Any country currently doing this?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

82% of people in Singapore live in government-built housing. Of those, 95% own their unit under a 99-year lease.

Somebody will probably complain about the bland concrete slab design, but concrete slab apartments are really the ideal: they block sound and vibrations, giving a sense of privacy that most other kinds of apartment buildings lack.

Wait what!? I was under the impression that Singapore was a neoliberal paradise...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was under the impression that land prices were the reason housing is so high, not materials. Innovation has been going on for decades that have brought the costs of building housing down, but rent still remains high.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

on the left posted:

Land is expensive, but building dense concrete buildings on top of seismically unstable ground in a tropical climate with typhoons is more expensive than building the same building in NYC.

Ahh. I was referring to in general, but I can see how it could be beneficial to some places.

• Locked thread