Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

icantfindaname posted:

They didn't freeze taxes for the rich, they froze taxes for middle class white Republican homeowners (who then became rich because they didn't have to pay any property tax). These things are fundamentally related. The people who will benefit from property tax freezes are not the poor, it's people who own property

I'm not super familiar with the specifics of Prop 13, but doesn't it freeze taxes for the rich on the business side of things? I thought there was an issue with business using shady practices when transferring ownership of real estate to keep the tax rates super low. Of course that still doesn't change the fact that the poor get nothing out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

icantfindaname posted:

By definition those people aren't as poor as the poorest, so what is the problem exactly with them paying property tax? Like I said, if they're forced out by gentrification they're not necessarily being forced into lovely housing.

Basically, nobody has actually bothered to explain why gentrification is a bad thing to begin with. Most of the complaints about it seem to be coming as much from middle class homeowners being priced out as they are from actual poor people. I don't really give a poo poo about white middle class people getting priced out of Brooklyn, sorry

The only real problem I see is people like the janitors, line cooks, bus drivers, ect. getting priced out of anywhere near the places where they work and the time and transportation costs they have to pay to get their jobs. Frankly I find the stuff about the 'character' of neighborhoods to be pretty unompelling, though I guess in an idealized world everyone could afford to live in whatever rad neighborhood they liked.

• Locked thread