Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Here's how to fix gentrification. Local jurisdictions are already allowed to create tax districts with special property tax rules. When an area is ripe for gentrification, create a tax zone which applies to any property owner who lives in the house or has family living in the house as a sole residence. Either freeze the property tax or allow it to rise a small amount every year. When the house is sold, the new owner is subject to the full property tax assessment.

This would prevent current residents from being chased from their homes due to exploding tax bills while also permitting them to cash out and sell their homes for the new higher prices if they choose.

This has literally been in effect across all of California since the 70s and has done fuckall to curb rents in San Francisco.

All it results in is the current situation where property owners simply turn their dwellings into rentals rather than selling, because why not. San Francisco now has roughly a 35% home ownership rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Yeah, it does make things worse when you freeze property taxes for rich people and not just for poor people. I propose that we freeze property taxes just for poor people when rich people start buying up the neighborhood.

Also SF is hosed up because they refuse to allow new housing, not specifically because of Prop 13. Again, because wealthy homeowners looking for subsidies hijacked the protections that should only be used to protect people who can't otherwise afford their homes when markets blast off.

Well I propose that all rent-seeking behavior be taxed at significantly higher rates as to encourage home ownership of primary residences instead of treating residential property as an investment.

But the likelihood of that happening anytime soon is about the same as my other proposal of dragging every landlord and banker out into the street and hanging them from the nearest pole.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Conversely, cities create special tax districts all the time and freezing your revenue at a current level for some people as a subsidy doesn't cost you any extra, you're only foregoing future income. A healthy number of cities do this exact thing to fund infrastructure.

Contradictory statements, nonsensical logic. Very poor effort. See me after class.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

LemonDrizzle posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of a rent control scheme that, when applied to a market with a genuine housing shortage, produced a more equitable outcome than would have been achieved by just letting the market do its thing. If you have a shortage of housing in places where people want to live, it necessarily follows that at least some people will be unable to live there and will quite reasonably be pissed off about the situation and regard it as deeply unfair. You can't eliminate that unfairness without building more housing (or making it more attractive to live elsewhere in the city/country), all you can do is decide who gets the lovely end of the stick.

Congratulations! The Cato Institute totally agrees with you.

You might remember them from their "study" last year claiming that poor people have it totally easy, really.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fangz posted:

So your proposal is to use mass eminent domain to seize properties, apparently arbitrarily, in city centres. I'm sure this would work out well......

Forums Poster Fangz appears to not understand that eminent domain involves the big scary government handing you a sack of cash in exchange for your land at market value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

A lot of people will say "you didn't give me what it's really worth and anyway I don't want to move even for ten times what it's worth".

Another really common thing that happens is that they'll only buy what they need, which means that you can be left with a weird little slice of land that you can't do much with.

Though during the big interstate system buildout these little slices were frequently rented out or sold to billboard companies.

• Locked thread