Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

The clever ones are. The others are putting are investing in...? I don't even know what is actually a profitable investment anymore for the middle class.

You buy a 4-plex as an owner-user with a low interest loan (FHA). You use the tenants to pay off your mortgage and you live in one of the units for free.

You can even move out because as far as I can tell in my experience no one ever really checks if you live there. :shrug: I know several people who have done this and they have basically used the government to subsidize their initial real estate investment. There is real no need to buy an actual 'home' with your FHA loan. You are allowed to by a multi-unit project.

Also to sweeten the deal you are allowed (in California) to sell the building and if you do an 'exchange' within 30 days of the sale you can take the money you got from your recent sale and put it into a bigger project tax free.

The middle class (if you're actually talking about it in terms of "people who have the median amount of wealth" can't afford to make significant investments of this nature. I'm pretty sure my family is above the 50th percentile, and there's no way in hell we could ever afford to buy another condo/home as an investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread