Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Lisbon's rent control is pretty awesome and long time residents pay like 30 euros a month for rent in a hot area. It also gives the city a distressed and authentically shabby look. A win-win in my book. Rent controls aren't an economic policy but a political one designed to reward incumbent renters at the expense of new residents coming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

I am very doubtful about legislating to help fix people geographically in place, if that is the effect. That seems like the recipe for economic death spirals where people are in locations where there aren't any jobs or investment, but can't leave because they risk losing their rent benefits.

I am not in principle opposed to the idea of rent control, but I think it is also foolish to reject the reservations of the vast majority of economists as 'neoliberal bias'. I suspect it is much more effective for the state to just build houses than futz around with price controls.

Fortunately for politicians (and unfortunate for the aspergers ridden economics discipline) rent is only one factor in why people move to or away from a particular city. Almost like real life is not full of frictionless surfaces????

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Is it truly necessary to look at things in black and white terms? I am not in fact saying that it is impossible for people to leave. I am however saying that the idea has a negative consequence in that it makes it more difficult for poor people to move in search of work and opportunities, and that I find it difficult to see why societies should favour people who don't travel over people who do.

Lmao if you think the only thing holding back the working poor in Detroit or East St. Louis is because they're staying due to rent controls. Man you people have to have brain damage or something. Lisbon, NYC, SF are all places where the jobs go, not the other way around.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

Disregarding an entire area of research into the very subject you are pretending to be open mindedly exploring would be funny enough, but treating economists of all people as monolithic on all things is what really takes it to the next level. Economists disagree about pretty much everything past the the intro textbook. Which is why them being united on the intro textbook stuff is so striking.

Economics is the study of these very things and topics. You should look into it. It's interesting. "Actually I'm smarter than an entire field of study because, uh, the IMF. Now, someone please do some research into the same things this field of study is about" is like, peak D&D.

Economics is actually p bad and economists basically are 24/7 paid shills for capitalism

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

Rent control raises costs is like chapter 2 of the intro stuff, maybe chapter 1, it is completely uncontroversial.

There are also studies and stuff. People have looked into this. If you were actually exploring this topic instead of going rah rah for team crazy you would have found this out.

That's the loving problem. Your taking what is essentially a political policy and doing the magic handwave of "ceteris paris this is bad markets rule governments drool" when in real life rents are a complex issue that can't be boiled down to a single supply and demand curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Stop treating rent control like an econ 101 textbook example.

A better measure of rent control's success or failure is to look and see if politicians who support it get reelected.

• Locked thread