Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Reading this topic, I feel the movie, for a fair bit, flew over my head.
To me, it was a story foremost about a terrible father who can never be content. Success, family, his daughter, wealth, superpower, it's never enough. It's a sickening look in the psych of a horrible person who only exists to achieve praise from whichever group he hasn't reached yet. He doesn't know the names of his crew, his fellow actors are just means to his own success instead of people to stimulate, he blatantly ignores his "pregnant" girlfriend, takes a second mortage. It's a bitter and bleak look at a narcissistic, egocentrical character. His daughter literally comments on it, when he finds out she's smoking pot.
I found it quite darkly as well, because he doesn't grow one bit. In fact, he nearly kills himself for his goal and only when he succeeds (if you want to call it that), he finds the time to connect to his ex wife, for just a moment.

Meanwhile, it says a lot about art, acting, fame and what not, but I really walked out feeling I watched a bleak family drama. I'll definitely rewatch it having read this topic. It's a treat to watch Keaton and Norton perform in this one regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread