Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
I liked this movie and definitely recommend most people to see this wonderful film. I'm still trying to write down my thoughts on how the movie frames the debate between cinema and theater as the vanguard for art. Really go see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
It might have just been me, but I felt like that Riggan's arc is one of Buddhist enlightenment and the ending is his literal ascension into the Bosom of the cosmic universe.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
Seriously, this is a good movie. I find that people who use a phrase like "getting" a movie are grappling with two problems.

The first problem is basic enjoyment of the film. That is always a hindrance to taking a film watcher from passive observer to active participant. For example, if we take a look at a movie like Frozen, the amount of people saying they don't "get it" can probably be counted on one hand. People enjoyed the film and they really enjoyed the straightforward message. It's simple. It entertains. We go home and wait for the next movie that catches our eye. If we can't enjoy the film, we are just going to cross our arms and say "this movie is garbage. I can't relate to it and I'm not entertained."

The second problem is one of intellectual curiosity and having a deep well of references and experiences to draw on to make sense of some of the more abstract ideas. Birdman is peppered with references to other movies and some heavy ideas of identity, angst, and family. There's a lot to ingest. Most movie goers aren't going to take the time to reflect on those ideas, but instead sit on something much more comfortable. After watching this movie they will come out and say "this movie is too smart for me. I guess I just don't get it. It must be for the ivory tower highbrows. Well too bad they are so far up their own rear end to understand good cinema. I wonder when that next Marvel movie is coming out?"

• Locked thread