Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Think about the poor girl who is typing up the minutes of that meeting.

Finally caught up with this. Does anyone else have the suspicion that the new PA is there to out-Tarou Tarou? Note how he says he has worked for 5 years, and each time in a different company.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ccs posted:

He seems stand-offish but if he's able to get his work done efficiently then he'll be better than Tarou.

I don't know, I get the feeling that the line 'anyone must be better than Tarou' is going to look awfully ironic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Man, Tarou didn't gently caress up this week. Not even once.

This is ominous.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

They sure try and get their money's worth out of those car 3D models....

This episode seems a bit too idealistic for me. I feel like it should have ended with them going to the author 'gently caress YOU, WE'RE GOING WITH THIS'. Or is that impossible?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

jrdbnta posted:

That's impossible. The creator(s) of a manga can kill an anime adaptation in the crib if they want to - or endlessly delay it like Takeuchi did with the Sailor Moon reboot.

Hmm. Is that very different from the West, then? I seem to recall, for example, Ursula Le Guin not liking how Tales from Earthsea turned out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Clarste posted:

...I cannot tell the difference between the original design and the improved one. Is there like a side-by-side comparison for them?

https://imgur.com/a/uIIwe

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

The problem isn't that the author was like "hey what the gently caress it should be like this". The problem is that his editor is a piece of poo poo who didn't actually get the design in front of him until after production started, and let production start with his garbage rear end assurances.

I dunno, the author clearly has an issue too. Like, the whole thing with the author demanding 'Ghibli': that betrays either grossly out of whack expectations, or a frightening degree of ignorance with the anime industry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In "I read reddit so you don't have to" news, scans from the Shirobako mini fanbook have been uploaded here:

http://imgur.com/a/VWtvD

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

We might not get the Donut girls together, but maybe one other group of friends are coming back together to make an anime... :3

Also, if that sour taste scene involved someone eating sour plums IRL to draw characters eating sour plums so that they can draw anime characters eating something sour....

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I am kinda hoping that Zuka never gets her voice acting job, at this point, to underline that in the end the industry isn't for everyone.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Conot posted:

Part of Shizuka's problem is that she doesn't have any connections in the right place to pull strings, since all her friends aren't on the voice/sound side of things. Miyamori is probably the closest as production desk, but even then she wasn't part of the auditions.

Whereas Diesel-san was hired on the quality of her work (but wouldn't have the opportunity to show her skill without Miyamori) and CG-girl whose name I forget only got a job at another studio because Miyamori asked a colleague to pull strings with his colleague/friend from school.

Its not cleared up whether Ema helped Miyamori get a job at Musani, but regardless, point is Shizuka is in a satellite industry where she has no friends or connections.

The VA position in the show also appears hugely more competitive than the other positions. For PA, Musani basically hired 2/3 applicants, on the basis of mostly having enthusiasm for the industry. For research assistant, that started off as an informal help position. Misa's CG position is a standard company sort of job where they were prepared to train you, and well, she could make tyres. Whereas VA is shown to basically pit newbies against established names with inherently limited numbers of staff for each show, and many VAs doing multiple shows at the same time. Add in the influence of agencies and merchandise producers, Shizuka has little chance. Even if Miyamori was involved in casting, I doubt she would have helped Shizuka to beat out a more appropriate casting choice - I don't think that's consistent with the message of the show, it would make Miyamori little different from 'Dat rear end' guy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Production plans don't just change for budgetary reasons. It could well be that they didn't think they had the material for 4 cours.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Hypothetically? A terrible second season. But the motherfucker of that question is that I'm not sure this crew has it in them to make a terrible second season. Something would have to go catastrophically wrong in their approach to the show when they pick it back up, though I admit that isn't impossible.

Oh gently caress you actually said it, we are doomed now.

Jiggly jiggly heaven, it's coming.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Guyver posted:

I liked that they addressed Aoi's role in the show and in her group of friends through Aria.

Are they talking about Aoi, or Shizuka though?

That scripting argument they had really reminded me of the discussion about whether Shizuka is going to get a role at the end.

Also I look forward to the Tarou and Hiroaka buddy-cop episode.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The thing about Tarou is that he only makes the same mistake once. Whereas Hiroaka just does the same lazy unmotivated cynical bullshit day after day for year after year.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Hiraoka seems to be the burnt out type who's seen way too many projects fail due to optimism or whatever

Hiraoka said to Yano that he "woke up from the dream" within a year of starting, though. That's not enough time to see "too many" projects fail.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I can only hope that Ai's arc is that she will eventually develop the confidence to deliver a long verbal smackdown of Hiraoka and his constant denigration of the value of her craft.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Well I assumed one of the main actors for Panzer und Planes would've dropped out and she would take their place, but that isn't happening it seems soooooo

I would honestly be rather annoyed if that happened. Shirobako does have a very idealistic view of the industry, but it is still one where people struggle and make sacrifices for their art, not where you triumph by passive good luck due to someone else's misfortune.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It seems like elements of Ema's old design were transferred to Gothloli-sama instead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Man, Tarou actually got through to Hiroaka, it seems like.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Also, (19) vs (22):

So is Third Aerial Girls drawn photorealistically in Shirobako-verse?!?

EDIT:

AnacondaHL posted:

adtrw-reacts-to-fanservice.gif

"Ema, please add in an action where Aria hears a sound."

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 13, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

My suspicion is that they are going to end this arc by delaying the final episode. Aoi's gotten through every crisis so far without failing or compromising, but they have raised the point that talent is about taking risks and learning lessons. So I think what naturally follows is that we need to see how the characters deal with failure, and recover instead of destroy themselves over it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Understanding posted:

this show is truly a tour de force.
They make be like Tarou, they made me like Daisuke. If they could somehow make me like Funny story by the last episode and Zukachan still doesn't have a VA role then it'll win anime of the decade.

Funny story actually runs an orphanage in his spare time, that's why he's so busy. That one time he was playing golf he was trying to win a competition so that the children would be able to adopt a puppy. He tells funny stories so that he doesn't cry from all the suffering he's lived through. All of his family died in a car crash due to a speeding anime production assistant.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You know I was saying earlier how I would prefer it if Shizuka didn't get a job? I still think so, but I think they've earned a happy ending with this episode and its discussion of whether or not to give characters happy endings, and it didn't feel like an asspull the reasoning they had for it.

Also that insane confrontation at the manga HQ is totally how Director Kinoshita would have storyboarded it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A very clever and subtle thing they did was that the character design of 'Lucy' is very similar to that of Sailor Suit and F3's main character's original design.

In other words, they earned the right to change the ending, by returning the author's former creation to him.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The world probably isn't ready for 20+ episodes of Aoi trying to obtain funding for the Seven Lucky Gods.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

aers posted:

there are people actually upset and mad that shirobako is popular because the characters are getting relatively "happy" endings and they wanted the show to be much darker

i dont understand people

I don't want it to be 'much darker'. I would simply have preferred an outcome where, say, Shizuka would have to be compromise on her dream and still have that be a happy ending for her.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

Her great accomplishment in this show is voicing a bit character with five lines in a two minute scene. That seems like the very definition of a "compromised" happy ending, though obviously from our (and Aoi's for that matter) vantage point it isn't really like that.

If it makes you feel better just pretend that small bit parts are the best she ever does.

The point isn't really whether she gets what she wants or not. The point is that her ending would come out of a choice Shizuka makes. That she gets a minor role is not a compromise on her dream, because she doesn't change her goals at all. She was just less successful than she wanted to be, but still somewhat successful, due to factors almost entirely outside her control.

That's the appeal really. I think the show would have been stronger if the lesson is that what you want to do is sometimes different from your high school dreams, and that's okay, and you don't have to alienate yourself from your friends because of that. Instead of 'sit and wait and maybe the anime gods will smile on you'.

I don't want Shizuka to fail just because, I simply would prefer the show to address the 99.99% of real life Shizukas who never get a role, discuss how they can deal with that, and give *them* a happy ending.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I like that they went with a realistic composition for the company photo. Not Aoi in the middle, but instead the director, the lead VA, and the original creator, and the script writer.

Also I like the easter egg of Yano there keeping that director from running away....

I assume season 2 would be about the terrifying implications of Aoi's hallucinations manifesting into reality.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 27, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Well the only one who can really see them is autist-chan maybe.

Look carefully at the photograph.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

nielsm posted:

The fact that they are even present on the photo?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I kinda don't want a season 2 to happen. At least, not for a number of years, until we can have a new series about how the anime industry has changed in 2020 or so.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

The only obvious match ups are Taro x Hiraoka, Aoi x Yano, and Zuka x beer.

Honda x Director. I still believe!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Zettace posted:

Dudes, everyone in this show is my girlfriend/boyfriend.

Funny story.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess you mean this right? (Questionable worksafeness)
https://40.media.tumblr.com/d56ce84d7256984cef352eee8d98fd9c/tumblr_nn2260PEns1sqcf7yo1_1280.jpg

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Shirobako spin-offs of the shows within shows are intrinsically a bad idea. The point is that these premises are appearing in this show because they are premises that they aren't interested in making anime of. Otherwise they wouldn't be making Shirobako, they'd be making those other shows instead!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

At this rate Shirobako season 2, featuring Aoi's rise to producer, is going to be depressing as hell.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Now make a movie where Tarou turns into tang, thanks

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

3rd Aerial Girls is actually pretty good. I can see myself watching a season of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I feel like this is probably not a normal part of anime production

• Locked thread