Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

2 cour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=37459

In case anyone was wondering!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Today's episode features a rather famous animator!

aers fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 6, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Just a bit of trivia.

They used Ichiro Itano as the older animator saying "no, its ok to use 3DCG!" because thats basically the career path he took - for the past decade or so any animation work he's done has been CG. There are health-related reasons for him not doing any 2D animation anymore but he doesn't hate the CG.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

I'm really enjoying seeing the end product of each conflict arc. It's just a really satisfying way to conclude each crisis.

I don't know much about the actual production of animation; how accurate were the key frames at the end to what an animator would actually produce? Like, were they prettied up significantly or simplified for the show?

The KA actually shown in the show was completely realistic, actual KA. It was also really really good and they got a good animator in to do it, lol.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/10562/animals-animated-creatures-effects-genga-kiyotaka_

Here's some examples of raw genga from the Space Dandy blurays.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Aniplex thanks you for your money.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I guess this was implied to be the next project for the second half of the show. Probably a parody of GuP/Area 88/whatever girls and military equipment series you like.

Nice Mitsubishi F-1 and F-4 Phantom.

Mizushima parodying his own anime in another of his anime, too deep bro.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Rexides posted:

Sorry to disappoint y'all, but it's a referrence to KanColle.

Why can't it be both? The guy who created and is directing Shirobako also created GuP.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The Born is Bones, the dude they show is Minami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masahiko_Minami) and their HQ building is shown too.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

SHIROBAKO managed to get Toshiyuki Inoue as a guest animator today, in another episode about asking outsiders for help. Somewhat too meta.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

nvm

aers fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 27, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

How/why are there already blurays out?

They release 1 BD a month with 2-3 episodes generally starting at the end of the 3rd month after the shows start airing. Some are earlier, some are later, and some series just get BD boxes.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Then he grew up and told the animation staff for GuP they weren't allowed to put in any pantyshots. It apparently caused some whining.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

If you know Japanese or are willing to google translate a lot, a ton of anime staff regularly tweet about SHIROBAKO, which is probably where that sort of stuff comes from. Apparently they all watch it!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah if you ever watch an anime episode and wonder why the quality is all over the place look for the 作画監督 credit, it'll usually be next to director/storyboard/writer or on the animator shot.

A lot of shows with hosed productions will have a ton of ADs and then additionally a ton of assistant ADs (credited underneath).

Another funny incident was an episode of Mahouka had a credit for "総総作画監督", like.. chief animation director with an extra chief. There were a ton of tweets form various people working in the anime industry about it since it was pretty bizarre.

aers fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 15, 2015

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The staff have tweeted that the meeting scene in episode 14 was recorded before the animation so they could animate it afterwards with errors left in, to make it more realistic.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

A friend works as a production assistant at Sunrise and said he (and a bunch of other staff) recently got transferred onto the Code Geass OVA project because the old production staff weren't keeping the director & animation staff in check so it was taking forever to get done.

Basically SHIROBAKO is real as hell.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The second half has been so successful so far that sales have spiked across the board and half the volumes are sold out on pre-orders since they didn't expect the demand.

Anime production sure is hard.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I know a lot of Toei's directors first show up as assistant directors, then direct other people's storyboards, then start storyboarding themselves. That sort of thing is pretty common elsewhere too.

Although it is rarer, some animators become storyboard artists/directors, and many of them turn out to be pretty good at it - people like Yuasa, Anno, Imaishi were all animators before they started directing.

Hell, Miyazaki was an animator in the 60s and 70s before and after his debut as a director on the original Lupin series.

Shirobako's director (Tsutomu Mizushima) got his start as an assistant director on Doraemon and then spent all of the 90s working on Shinchan as a director.

aers fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 15, 2015

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So as bonus OVAs that are needed, we now have Exodus!, Andes Chucky, Gothloli Baseball and Third Aerial Girls Squadron.

Edit: Forgot about that.

But two of those are already confirmed

aers
Feb 15, 2012

dammit mizushima

aers
Feb 15, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I read the SA thread about Iroha in archives a while back, it sounded like it got a really mixed reception at the time, but I didn't know it was the same studio as Shirobako either.

studio doesn't mean poo poo in most cases, and definitely this one.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/crazynabe/status/568709118271164417
https://twitter.com/crazynabe/status/568750744943218688

shirobako is real as hell and mizushima is insane.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yep. There are a few studios where things are better off (KyoAni & Toei both pay a salary, Toei's is in addition to per-cut pay and I suspect KyoAni's is too but I don't actually know for sure) but for a lot of younger animators just getting started things are pretty dire.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Davincie posted:

they should do a storyline with foreign (i see a lot of korean names in credits of anime like for example death parade) animators. you could probably tie that into the whole wage thing somehow and it seems interesting

There are a few studios who regularly outsource to Korean animation studios; Madhouse (and Mappa, which sprung out of Madhouse) are two of them. Check say, the Garo anime's credits for an example. Another is Pierrot. There is actually some talent in a few of the Korean studios but its spread pretty thin and when you're outsourcing to Korea its generally an indication that your show's scheduling is pretty messed up and you aren't expecting them to be able to deliver much in the first place. You can tell these shows have messy schedules because they'll have 3+ animation directors per episode and 5 different studios listed in the key animation credits.

Then there's the Korean studios that do their own thing instead of being outsource shops. The most well-known of these is Studio Mir, who did the animation for most of Korra (Pierrot did parts of season 2, which looked awful in comparison).

There's also the odd Korean animator who is talented enough to break into the mainline Japanese studios. Sejoon Kim does a ton of mecha work for Sunrise and is probably one of the top laser effects animators they have. A lot of these guys will have their names in kanji in the credits (Kim is 金 世俊, for example) so unless you can actually read everyone's names you probably won't notice them.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Uh?? I've never seen a Korean name in hanja in credits, that is definitely an exception to the norm. It's almost always in English or sometimes in katakana.

Uh yeah its rare.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

there is an actual episode released.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Please don't marry people against their will.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Wow if he wanted to work on endless kids shows he should have tried for Toei instead of Nakamura Pro->Pierrot, cuz Toei pays ~20k USD a year in salary baseline.

i looked that guy up, he's an inbetweener still and doesnt do KA, so he probably gets paid pennies.

aers fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 7, 2015

aers
Feb 15, 2012

That Buzzfeed article was wrong and apparently he makes $1k/mo not $100. Barely liveable in Tokyo, but liveable.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah he did an AMA on reddit with a ton more info http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2qprjj/i_am_an_animator_from_ny_who_moved_to_japan_and/

You can also see Cindy Yamauchi's twitter for her side of things (she's a top animator & AD at pierrot though, so on a completely different scale than an inbetweener) https://twitter.com/cindy560a

There are some conversations between her, bahi JD, and Thomas Romain, all foreigners who work on anime, in her twitter feed.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

how common is it for one animation studio to do all their animation work in house? i mean in this show we are shown that Ema was just like working on Exodus or now the plane show but wouldnt she also have to be working on stuff from other shows to make more money?

it is extremely rare for there to be 0 outsourcing on a show. inbetweens are commonly outsourced. there are also specialized background studios that do a lot of the background work. it is also extremely rare for an entire show to have 0 outsourced key animation; kyoani is an example of a studio that relies on inhouse (they are a very special case though).

the other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of animators are freelance and not tied to a specific studio so technically a lot of things are not "inhouse" just because of that.

A-1 for example doesnt actually have any animators, they rely entirely on freelancers.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Uznare posted:

They didn't have enough budget to finish the subs in time.

*froths at mouth*

aers
Feb 15, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Didn't someone say itt that they originally meant it to be 4 cour but only got 2?

They did enough planning for 4 cours but the reality is late night shows are 2 cours max barring special circumstances (and even JoJo SC got split in half).

aers
Feb 15, 2012

amazon's top selling anime blurays after episode 23 aired

aers
Feb 15, 2012

there are people actually upset and mad that shirobako is popular because the characters are getting relatively "happy" endings and they wanted the show to be much darker

i dont understand people

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its pretty hard to get members of a late night anime production committee to commit to a 4-cour original anime. I can't even remember the last time this happened unless I'm forgetting something really obvious.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/shirobako_anime/status/583649354293981185

Also Shirobako is selling about 40% of what UBW is selling before anyone gets any crazy ideas.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I see you're gungho about enforcing Japanese societal norms upon these young women

And that tweet was just the official account pretending episode 25 aired (since it would have a few hours ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

the director of shirobako got really mad about those pinup posters and is probably pretty mad about the dakimakuras but those are the work of one single producer on the show and he has no say in it.

• Locked thread