Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

The director just got more and more cringeworthy.

So far I'm having a bit of trouble telling all the characters apart but I'm often like that when it's just episode two, and this show has some potential.

Part of it is because there's such a large cast and since they're all in plainclothes and normal, some of the more distinctive features aren't there to help remember characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

That's more than I expected, honestly.

I feel like this series could be 1 cour if it focused on the MC and the company, but I guess since there are actually five mains, they'll get their time and we'll get to see time work together eventually.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If I recall correctly, didn't one of the producers or creators say that Tarou was basically one of them when they were first starting out?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sincx posted:

This had to have been a deliberate reference to Genshiken, right?

They are both voiced by the great Nobuyuki Hiyama.

W
x
Y
has been around before Genhiken I think.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
And thus, Tarou is clearly not Producer material. Director is a whole other ball game however.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

So there's a bunch more episodes of this left? Is the final third of the series going to be Aoi trying to cope with being the only competent production manager left at MusAni?

I'd guess that there might be a small time skip (a few years down the road) with them getting to helm a company of their own or all of them actually together to work on their dream project. At the very least, it'll probably end that way with them able to start on it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I thought the blurred-out part was hilarious, precisely because everything is so recognizable. I figured that kind of meaningless censorship was a part of the joke.

It actually seems pretty standard iirc. Even if everything's mosaic, it's still relatively recognizable. I've seen a few where the characters get a censor bar over the eyes and that's it. Additionally, when speaking about copyrighted characters or real people, there'll be a bleep of one of the syllables, but it's generally recognizable from the rest.

Curious:
How does B Productions -> Toei
Sunup -> Sunrise makes sense
Also, who's The Born?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

Shouto Kashii, he's done a ton of minor characters in all sorts of anime, but nothing major it seems.

I would've thought they'd pull the guy who voiced Director-kun in Insufficient Direction, but I guess they wanted a more serious depiction. I did find out that Megumi Hayashibara voiced Rompers and I wouldn't be surprised if a version of her showed up at some point since she's at that level of illustriousness.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

I want to believe that Anno's home really does look like some kind of evil corporate office.

I bet that's just the room he uses to meet important people in. I'm sure he has perfectly normal rooms for an otaku.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sincx posted:

Given how detailed this show is regarding industry trivia, I'm sure Anno's real living room looks very close to that.

I'm just basing it on what I gleaned from his life from Insufficient Direction since it's basically about him from the POV of his wife.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Guys this is like the least weird doujin, calm the gently caress down.

It's kinda weird, but it's not like it's some Waita stuff

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

It's true that we haven't seen Tarou gently caress up massively as he did in the early episodes, but on the other hand we haven't seen him be competent either. Since we haven't seen him be competent I'm assuming he's still postponing work until last minute and poo poo a conflict resolution.

He's at the level of competency as the Director. The same position that he wants to aim for.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So among other mentions (like the half-dozen VA cameos that we presumably got and the studios the new guy named), we've got Studio Titanic. Who are they supposed to be?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

:ohdear:

Musani's screwed.

They just need a good producer or manager to whip them into shape

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Pulled this from /a/. This might make it clearer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nondevor posted:

I'm so happy about all the Initial D references in this show. :allears: I remember playing the games in my local arcade years ago while blasting songs like RUNNING IN THE 90s at full volume.

Speaking of references, the reason gothloli-sama is so good at baseball is because she shares the same name as a famous baseball player.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The new male production assistant is quickly becoming more insufferable than Taro

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

.Clash posted:

Again it's probably based on something that actually happened with a real person.

I feel like every character besides the main five are probably based on some staff member encountered in the past, either directly or by anecdote.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want to see then do a bit where at least one of the Bakos meet with their RL VAs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So as bonus OVAs that are needed, we now have Exodus!, Andes Chucky, Gothloli Baseball and Third Aerial Girls Squadron.

Edit: Forgot about that.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 19, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

aers posted:

But two of those are already confirmed

But are either of them Gothloli Baseball?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twiddy posted:

That wasn't a hentai, it was a harem show. Obviously one of the more trashy harem shows considering the lines, but I'm pretty sure it was specifically for "I Think My Harem's Falling Apart (But I'm Not Sure)."

Also goddamn this show has some amazing soul reads on the names of its fake products.

I actually want to read the plot of this story because I have a feeling that it's some sort of reverse of the typical proceedings of a harem anime where they all start infatuated with the MC and then start leaving for various reasons.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Huh. Apparently, originally Shirobako was planned as a 4-cour show, with Miyamori going from the assistant to the desk, from there to the line producer and, then, finally, to the producer. Source.

Are you sad yet that that didn't happened? I am. Here's hoping that we will get the second season at some point (preferably soon).

I think that link needs :nws: tags due to the ads. Opened it on my phone and got a naked anime woman on my screen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

Oh gently caress you actually said it, we are doomed now.

Jiggly jiggly heaven, it's coming.

If they have to make an episode like that, I'm sure itwould be meta as hell.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

/\/\/\/\/\ Hell, I'd have surprise dropped in on the author himself months ago.

I still don't really understand how Tarou metamorphosed from "loving idiot that I hate" to "lovable idiot who I love to hate." I... I no longer want him to lose his job.

He's always energetic and upbeat and generally means well and actually tries to do his job, but is still a complete doof and sort incompetent. Compared to most of the cast, the doof part was what made him relatively unlikable. However, now there are characters who actually don't care or otherwise want to avoid responsibility relative to the rest of the cast.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The amazing part is that one day, Tarou will probably become a director and maybe not actually terrible at it. Miyamori would become studio head though and she'll treat everyone to donuts like what's his name does with all sorts of food.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I really want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here and imagine that that only came from bitterness at seeing actual examples of other male artists not being able to achieve their ambitions because of blah blah events. Mostly because I'm desperate for a justification for him being such a poo poo.

Hiraoka seems to be the burnt out type who's seen way too many projects fail due to optimism or whatever

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poil posted:

Well, maybe Ema can help her improve.

Thanks. But that description makes me wary.

First episode was about ED. The second was about pedophilia.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Clarste posted:

Every so often we see the lead animator guy read lines to himself, presumably to help himself time the lipflaps.

Anyway, I think the show would at least point it out if they started airing. Probably have an episode where they nervously gather around a TV or something.

Just like what they did at the beginning with Exodus, presumably.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So Hiraoka's the example of high energy in that leads to a spectacular crash and burn later.

Also, I think Zuka didn't want Aoi making introductions for her because she wanted to get her roles by her own ability and not by introduction.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

Man, Tarou actually got through to Hiroaka, it seems like.

Hiroaka's probably envious of Tarou's lack of distress over his own failures. Before he became so jaded, Hiroaka sounded like an even more optimistic Aoi, but didn't have the support she had.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Griever posted:

The quality of this show is so consistent it really puts everything else to shame.
Kinoshita's Western scene was the greatest thing.
Please get a second season :(

Oh and Honda needs to eat a sandwich because that guy looks too skinny now.

Being a pastry chef is hard work

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

I like that they went with a realistic composition for the company photo. Not Aoi in the middle, but instead the director, the lead VA, and the original creator, and the script writer.

Also I like the easter egg of Yano there keeping that director from running away....

I assume season 2 would be about the terrifying implications of Aoi's hallucinations manifesting into reality.

Well the only one who can really see them is autist-chan maybe.

If they do an S2 (big IF), I'd love to know about Okitsu-san (and how she got her nickname) and some of the other older souls during their time in production. I'm totally not interested in watching them do production on "Two Piece" since the reality of how that show is made is infinitely more depressing than it should be. I'd rather them jump a few years with them actually trying to get their own company going.

Also, this is a world where the Sega Dreamcast survived and continued its legacy. Oh what a world it might have been.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

Look carefully at the photograph.

Sorry, hte audience can see them too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jrdbnta posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see the series pick up after the fall-out from Musani's adaptation of Two Piece and the passion project, and be 100% focused on the girls and their passion project instead.

I wouldn't mind a meta first half where they're producing a second season of a series, except the S1 is from another company.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Budget Prefuse posted:

seventhstyle is a very popular blog ran by world's biggest pedophile and it's probably not worth discussing

What type of things does this awful person like?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

aers posted:

the director of shirobako got really mad about those pinup posters and is probably pretty mad about the dakimakuras but those are the work of one single producer on the show and he has no say in it.

It's basically if one of those three reps for the media companies was a producer instead of people like Miyamori or Tarou.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poil posted:

I find it extremely unlikely that most, if not all, of the main cast went through high school and university without ever dating someone. :confused:

They may have, but they're not at all relevant or important. At least one of them might also be secretly in lesbians with one of the others

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

He mentions it really fast, he was worried about the mangaka meeting his deadlines, so he wasn't bringing up any of the anime stuff to him to distract him. Or something like that.

Editor was probably under the assumption that the author needed no distractions to keep working and that included working with the anime staff. Any interactions with the anime staff had him essentially checking out since he had the complete intention of only listening to the bare minimum of what he had to say or do unless it was straight from the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

If there's any PA Works folks on Twitter or something, share this with them.

• Locked thread