Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This series is hilarious just in that pretty much every single little thing is based on some sort of actual events with names slightly changed. It's pretty much just a long string of inside jokes. I'd love to see some sort of commentated/annotated version.

I saw someone in the industry said that while the Initial D drifting race sequence might not have been quite true to reality, they said that the animation runners' cars were full of dents and accident damage, and everyone felt nervous riding as a passenger with them.

Anyway, personally speaking this seems like the most interesting PA works show in a while. Most of theirs have had trouble getting me hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would really love to see a well annotated or commentaried version of this. I gather that pretty much everything has some basis in real events, but I don't know enough of the details to say for sure.

One thing that's pretty much been confirmed is that most of the ongoing gags about the director are in reference to Girls Und Panzer. Its director is the one directing Shirobako, and it infamously had a bunch of scheduling problems that resulted in multiple recap episodes and the final two episodes being delayed by several months.

There was also the line in episode 1 about another studio's bathroom facilities. I can't find reference to who it was, but I remember a while back a story went out about some studio that had like a hundred people working in a building with only a single bathroom.

Anyway, this was a good episode, but I wonder if the focus will start to shift at any point to one of the other girls from the high school group? It seemed at the start like it was going to be more of an ensemble piece, but it's followed the one donut girl pretty closely so far.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This show is loving cool, and I want to kiss the sound designer who made a random girl who showed up in his office wear high heels and walk in place

As far as I know, most foley studios just have a fat middle aged dude squeeze into the heels to do it themselves.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From what I've heard, as hateable as Tarou is, industry insiders watching the show admit that types like him both tend to go far and are vital because they don't turn into depressed lumps when they screw up (like Ema) or are overworked (like Miyamori).

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please remember that one of the more senior artists at the studio is a woman who wears goth-loli outfits to work every day. And insiders have said that her character was inspired by a real (unnamed) person.

Creative types are weird. Someone having pretty severe social anxiety seems like it would barely rank above a 5 out of 10.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Wow. Sorry if anything I said made it sound remotely appealing or worthwhile at all. :v:

The subjects so far seem to have been chosen mostly for humor. It's actually not bad, especially compared to the crap that passes for most other 5 minute anime.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I laughed at this harder than I should have.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Wasn't this a problem with Dragonball? Someone told me the reason they had all those infamously long charge up scenes was because they were trying to stretch out the the time to see what the story was doing in the manga. Is that true?

Pretty much all ongoing series have this problem and it results in really terrible pacing. DBZ had a bit of it naturally, which made it more noticeable, but you see it in other Jump stuff like One Piece, Naruto, etc.

If a manga's cranking out a chapter a week with a week off here and there, the anime will catch up eventually if they cover more than a chapter an episode, and a lot of manga chapters don't have 20 minutes of content in them.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Cameo posted:

You know she's still going to have to work at the bar for the foreseeable future, right? This is an isolated moment in the sun for her, and I assume we may never find out if she's a successful VA or not.

As it is, you're saying that a fictional TV program should take the least dramatic path - wherein nothing really happens for this character - because that's more realistic. In reality, that just makes the character wasteful - having spent time and effort to develop her beyond "bartender who wants to be a VA", simply denying her any sort of step forward because that's how it goes for thousands of others means those precious minutes they used on her amount to nothing because her character just becomes background noise.

I forget the source, but there's been an article or two talking about how the VA market these days is so rough that only the very top tiers can actually make a living from it without having to take outside part-time work. Not enough pay and too many long gaps without work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to post Shirobako dakis and complain about them then at least post the good ones

http://imgur.com/DKDd6X1 :gay:

I haven't seen a Tarou one yet, at least.

• Locked thread