Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

http://imgur.com/blog/2014/10/09/introducing-gifv/

hi, we're imgur and we took mp4 and rebranded it as a video version of a terrible proprietary format, we're INNOVATORS

webm for life

http://www.webmproject.org/

http://a.pomf.se/khxygz.webm

yeah yeah, img-timeline w/e gently caress you, this is a rant thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

lmao is that seriously how yosplus works, just scans a url for "webm" and auto-embeds it, even if it isn't a loving webm

good loving job

http://www.webmproject.org/

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what if i dont care about this in the slightest op

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

theadder posted:

what if i dont care about this in the slightest op

this is you

http://webm.land/media/sPfV.webm

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

didnt load in safari 7 get stuffed op

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

theadder posted:

didnt load in safari 7 get stuffed op

http://webm.land/media/DMgW.webm

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

this is the first time since 1989 that gif has been updated and its still a pile of poo poo for idiots
radium add webm support

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i do not understand the ops concerns with what imgur is doing

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

what was wrong with apng?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

why do we need more than two frames

you only have two eyes

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Sweevo posted:

it's sometimes bigger than gif even at 256 colors iirc

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
fiddling with your gif so it's a sane file size is part of the fun and I judge people who can't or won't do it.

gently caress ya all it's my version of train spotting.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
webm is just as stupid as gifv except gifv atleast used a real codec.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sweevo posted:

not a standard.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Shaggar posted:

webm is just as stupid as gifv except gifv atleast used a real codec.

shaggar was... wrong???

also I can open webms in MPC, can't do that with this gifv poo poo

also, they're not allowing audio to be muxed with it, unlike webm

also, the whole reason they chose to be h.264-based instead of VP9 was that it would work on iOS and apple poo poo, but it isn't working correctly already

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

it's sometimes bigger than gif even at 256 colors iirc
who cares about filesize, it's 2014

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

jony ive aces posted:

filesize matters if your going to upload it to a server that isnt your own

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MiniFoo posted:

shaggar was... wrong???

also I can open webms in MPC, can't do that with this gifv poo poo

also, they're not allowing audio to be muxed with it, unlike webm

also, the whole reason they chose to be h.264-based instead of VP9 was that it would work on iOS and apple poo poo, but it isn't working correctly already

webm uses h264?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You can't make this poo poo up:

quote:

GNOME Developer Comes Up With New Animated Image Format

Jasper St. Pierre who we're usually talking about on Phoronix due to his GNOME contributions related to Wayland support, shared today he's come up with a new animated image format to compete with GIF.

While GIF is technologically out-of-date with its compression support and other features, alternative animated image file formats like APNG and MNG haven't taken off. However, Jasper ended up devising a new image format called XNG. XNG doesn't impose any restrictions, can support more complex functionality, and will work existing HTML5 browsers of today.

Using XNG on the web doesn't require any external JavaScript libraries for support or anything else but seamlessly manages to work within at least Firefox and Chrome. The technical details of XNG have yet to be exposed in-depth but he will be following up with more posts and XNG examples in the days ahead.

Those wishing to learn more about XNG can read Jasper's blog post. "Over the next few days, I’ll talk a bit more about XNG. I hope all you hackers out there look into it and notice what I’m doing: I think there’s certainly a lot of unexplored ideas in what I’ve developed. We can push this envelope further."

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgxNjc

XNG does not work in Safari 8.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Testing my new GIF replacement, XNG.

lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MiniFoo posted:

http://imgur.com/blog/2014/10/09/introducing-gifv/

hi, we're imgur and we took mp4 and rebranded it as a video version of a terrible proprietary format, we're INNOVATORS

.gvi

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
#notallgifvs

http://imgur.com/933BpnC

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

embedding h.264 at this point makes sense since everything mobile decodes it in hardware, and on desktop there will be a solution for all browsers (even freedom ones like firefox that can access the OS level h.264 decoder if needed)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

browsers just need to be updated so that .mp4 files dont need a <video> tag but just work under img as well with behaivor for looping by default

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Shaggar posted:

webm uses h264?

no, it uses VP9, like I said. apparently gifv uses h.264 but if it does then I have no idea why I can't just open it in MPC. maybe because the container isn't implemented yet in CCCP? idk

yeah that xng poo poo is still a p big filesize, and you can't pause or rewind it, and there's no support for sound if you want it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MiniFoo posted:

no, it uses VP9

so i was right then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gifv and webm are both stupid for using custom lovely containers. webm is additionally stupid for using a custom lovely codec.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

jony ive aces posted:

my 500megs of monthly mobile data :smugmrgw:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

embedding h.264 at this point makes sense since everything mobile decodes it in hardware, and on desktop there will be a solution for all browsers (even freedom ones like firefox that can access the OS level h.264 decoder if needed)

pagancow posted:

browsers just need to be updated so that .mp4 files dont need a <video> tag but just work under img as well with behaivor for looping by default

pagancow was right about a video thing, surprisingly

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
hard g in gifv

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hi pissflaps how's your Friday night?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gifv is yet another nail in the dead and buried coffin of hard-g morons

because when you say it with a soft g it sounds like "jiffy" which is perfectly aligned with the goal of making an animated image format that doesn't take forever to download and chug the browser

whereas if you say it with a hard g it sounds like you're an idiot who doen't know how to speek engnlish gud.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hard g is correct

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sweevo posted:

hard g is correct

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're a cretin mabe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Widdiful posted:

radium add webm support

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't add webm support. add mp4 support

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Shaggar posted:

don't add webm support. add mp4 support

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

add mp4 because imgur's thing is just mp4 so i'm sure it would be easy enough to extract the video, and also the browsers already mostly natively support it, but webm is something else entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

hi pissflaps how's your Friday night?

its alright just a quiet night in with the wife and baby watching a bit of telly and planning our weekend

• Locked thread