Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

embedding h.264 at this point makes sense since everything mobile decodes it in hardware, and on desktop there will be a solution for all browsers (even freedom ones like firefox that can access the OS level h.264 decoder if needed)

pagancow posted:

browsers just need to be updated so that .mp4 files dont need a <video> tag but just work under img as well with behaivor for looping by default

pagancow was right about a video thing, surprisingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gifv is yet another nail in the dead and buried coffin of hard-g morons

because when you say it with a soft g it sounds like "jiffy" which is perfectly aligned with the goal of making an animated image format that doesn't take forever to download and chug the browser

whereas if you say it with a hard g it sounds like you're an idiot who doen't know how to speek engnlish gud.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're a cretin mabe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

add mp4 because imgur's thing is just mp4 so i'm sure it would be easy enough to extract the video, and also the browsers already mostly natively support it, but webm is something else entirely

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i dunno i actually think i prefer the aesthetic of the dithering to this macroblock quantization garbage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

the G stands for Graphics, which is pronounced with a hard G sound, so pronouncing GIF with a hard G is correct.

ah yes, like such acronyms as "laser", which is pronounced "lah seer", or "scuba", which is pronounced "skubba"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uh yes well you see gin is a word not an acronym and the creator of the term isn't allowed to suggest how it shold be pronounced, and furthermore, *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaartttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes hmm it is impossible to implement an mp4 player in a browser that defaults to sound off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtKxsuGvko

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MononcQc posted:

The name "INI file" comes from the commonly used filename extension, .INI, which stands for "initialization". I'd expect the pronunciation to be as in initialization.

yes, this is the correct etymology, which is why ".ini" is pronounced "init"

as in "to change the screen resolution, open up graphics dot init" or "open up the graphics init file"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

YOSPOSB~.EXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

it would be YOSPOS~1.EXE :ughh:

yeah you're right it's been a while since i've seen one of those

• Locked thread