Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just got a little tired of all the eyeball closeups on Geun-tae and HMMMM IS HE REALLY WHAT HE SEEMS HMMMM, especially considering it had already been largely telegraphed in the previous episode. It felt like something that could have been resolved in like half the time while still conveying the same information and sentiments, leaving at least a little time in the episode for Team Yona to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It could have definitely been resolved faster, but it wouldn't have been nearly as good. The big tournament scene was pretty clever and fun to watch, and I liked Geun-tae and his crew so it was fun to just watch them do things. You weren't supposed to think for a second that Su-won didn't have some kind of plan, but it was funny to watch Geun-tae get all huffy about it and the actual plan itself was neat.

From the start this has been a predictable, slow moving show, but it's fun enough to make that feel cozy instead of just boring. I can understand wanting to get back to team Yona, but their problems do kind of repeat themselves so it was nice to get a change of pace. It's also smart to develop the antagonists without bringing up the stakes prematurely, and while it does feel like the show should be heading to some kind of conclusion at this point they would have had to shuffle around a lot more than this episode to make that work.

I'm assuming that the show is going to end as if a season two was coming, and if it isn't coming I guess it's manga time.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, that was a relatively entertaining episode. And I didn't know that Psycho-Pass' police chief used to be a pirate captain in a past life :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol "drugs r bad"

*takes a buff from a pipe*

Note this is pre-American contact, so it clearly can't be tobacco.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Phobophilia posted:

Note this is pre-American contact, so it clearly can't be tobacco.

This show isn't really rooted in history very much. It could totally be tobacco.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Princess "Batman" "Spider-man" Yona joins the X-Men

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just caught up with the show and I want to say that it still owns, okay bye.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They spent well over half of the episode on the same loving cliff and still had to cut out the closing because they ran out of time. And the big stinger at the end? ~human trafficking~. Getting into the real issues on this show, Yona of The Wire.

I wonder what silly thing the squirrel will do in the background when they meet the slaves.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

I wonder what silly thing the squirrel will do in the background when they meet the slaves.

Eat one, of course. :unsmigghh:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shojo is loving metal.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Eat one, of course. :unsmigghh:

The Devil Tesla posted:

Shojo is loving metal.

It begins. :getin:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They've got the taste of blood!!!

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Isn't this show supposed to end in 5 episodes or something?? We dont even have the squad together!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anime gods, confirm season 2, I pray.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I really need a season two of this and Shirobako

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

(20): Red light, Hak, red light!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They're gonna finish this arc in 2 episodes max, so I have no idea how the hell they're going round out the season finale. Perhaps Soo-won will do something substantive? How much is this selling, such that it can guarantee a 2nd season?

Also, laffo at not-Korea banning slavery. Slavery has a long, long history in Korea. And really, all of Asia.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Phobophilia posted:

How much is this selling, such that it can guarantee a 2nd season?

It doesn't seem to be selling at all. As in, there are no DVD/BD releases yet. Might be coming in a box or something later?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The boys talking about their "dragons blood" does not stop being funny.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love that this show is using the human trafficking of sex slaves as a way to give the heroine a way to be brave without killing stuff, and also to spark cross dressing shenanigans. Also, these pirates don't just not kill people, but do so despite the fact that it gets more of them killed. It nails a scribblings of a middle schooler in their history textbook feel and it's so the best.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love that this show is using the human trafficking of sex slaves as a way to give the heroine a way to be brave without killing stuff, and also to spark cross dressing shenanigans. Also, these pirates don't just not kill people, but do so despite the fact that it gets more of them killed. It nails a scribblings of a middle schooler in their history textbook feel and it's so the best.

Don't forget "trap doors! Yea! you capture women with trap doors!"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm about 4 episodes behind and considering holding off til the rest is out so I can marathon to the end. I like the show and really hope it gets another season but the pace is kinda getting to me.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Apple rack Gija was pretty legit

coathat
May 21, 2007

New episode is good and it's fitting that Yona teams up with pirates and shows off her conqueror's haki.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

coathat posted:

New episode is good and it's fitting that Yona teams up with pirates and shows off her conqueror's haki.

The episode was very fun and cinematic, but I'm kind of getting tired of men being literally scared stiff by a woman showing aggression.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

The episode was very fun and cinematic, but I'm kind of getting tired of men being literally scared stiff by a woman showing aggression.

K-drama is all about the intimidation stare-down, a requirement for keeping power in royalty. It's not gender specific.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The upside of changing the op is that they can use the first opening in the show itself, and while they're absolutely overusing it I can't help but smile every time it plays.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

There Bias Two posted:

I think that Yona might have some sort of dragon power. The four dragons all have obvious powers but it would make sense for the red dragon's descendants to have some sort of power too, so maybe people are literally perceiving blazing flames in Yona's eyes when she intimidates them? That would certainly make me take a step back.

Anyway, good episode. Though I would have liked to see Yona skewer one of those shithead officials through the throat with an arrow but that would have gone against the whole pacifist vibe the show has going, so oh well.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh, poo poo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is this crazy show trying to pull???

Also I am enjoying the squirrel's continuing decent into carnivorous madness.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Glorious return of the original OP song.

Actually, great music direction throughout the episode.

As for plot :tviv:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Ooops, I was wondering what everyone was going "oh poo poo!!" about. I thought the guy at the end was the priest dude that was with Yun earlier, I didn't recognize he was the dude who killed Yona's dad

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Well there's only two episodes left so they had to do something, I guess. I wonder if we'll still get to the blonde dragon?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is definitely a show that needs to wait a year and then come back because I actually like the characters and the villain isn't some cookie cutter bad guy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It looks like they're introducing the fourth dragon in exactly the last episode, which amuses me to no end. But yea, Soo-won's tiny cameo in the start of the episode was short but great, and getting a full wrap up for what was a really great arc was worth it. I hope this show gets many more seasons, it's great escapist fluff that has enough smarts to not waste your time even when it takes forever to get anywhere. And oh yea, the guys are dreamy.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I found the anime really interesting and I looked forward to it each week for about 5 or 6 episodes. Then, I just broke down and blasted through the manga. Now, I look forward to new chapters. I'm enjoying it too. Pretty interesting character developments all along the way.

I'd recommend the manga, for anyone interested.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
A little late to the party, but I finally saw the end of episode 22.

:asoiaf:

So much more dramatic than the manga version. If this doesn't get a season 2 I swear...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nondevor posted:

A little late to the party, but I finally saw the end of episode 22.

:asoiaf:

So much more dramatic than the manga version. If this doesn't get a season 2 I swear...

Apparently an OVA was announced, but people think it's likely to be from a filler ep. Hopefully they won't try to finish the series that way, especially given the pacing so far.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

Apparently an OVA was announced, but people think it's likely to be from a filler ep. Hopefully they won't try to finish the series that way, especially given the pacing so far.

It's filler in the sense that it's unimportant but it is from the manga. There's a few chapters in between where we're at in the manga and when the next dragon shows up, and they're moving those to the OVA and introducing the new guy instead. Smart move, but the ova should still be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i read all the manga, it's good. here is the official guy tier list

S tier:

Hak
Shin-ah

A tier:

Tae-Jun

B tier:

Jae-Ha