Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arri posted:

I think most of us humans have a talent or a passion but in nearly all cases it is undiscovered or unexplored because it gets pushed to the side in favor of wage slavery to survive. If people were free to explore their curiosities and passions with free education and being given the resources to achieve, we would see a much more fulfilled citizenry and humanity would likely progress much faster as well.

What makes you think that most people wouldn't just spend their days posting on GBS? Or is there something about those types of activities that you equate with "progress"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Fulfillment is going to look different for different people. Trying to judge and shape how people find fulfillment makes you literally Hitler.

He didn't say "fulfillment." He said "progress."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't think we need to know pain at all, so much as there being a deep-seated human need to not have the things we do be futile. There's a reason craftsmen take pride in and find accomplishment in creating. The same reason I am, to give an example, a lot more enthusiastic about and proud of the shelves I built in my basement last weekend than absolutely anything I did in the 200+ hours I spent at work this month, being what amounts to a remote pair of hands. A major problem in a lot of modern work is that much of it is futile at the end of the day. There's no appreciable progress to look at and feel as if your work has mattered, just another slog tomorrow to seem busy (in the white collar world) or keep up production quotas (for the blue collar side).

Today was the last day at my white collar job, and you pretty much exactly described why I quit: futility.

Modern corporations are set up such that only a minority of the employees are actually doing anything of value (as in, either directly or indirectly contributing to the bottom line) and everyone else is just doing busy-work. One of our Account Managers literally spent half her day yesterday trying to get one of our resellers to resubmit a PDF document where a certain paragraph was bolded and in red. This was because someone higher up wanted it that way.

In contrast, when I work on personal projects I'm just ridiculously productive. I make a list of things that need to get done, prioritize them, and knock them out one by one without any distractions, politics, bureaucracy, and so on. It's greatly fulfilling.

• Locked thread