Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Amused to Death posted:

However many people feel doing whatever you want all day with no real purpose or obligations actually does get kind of old after a while.

I legitimately don't understand how someone could ever get bored of self-directed activity unless they suffered from a serious lack of imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

What makes you think that most people wouldn't just spend their days posting on GBS? Or is there something about those types of activities that you equate with "progress"?

Research on this subject is lacking but it's my opinion and experience that people who're content to spend all day jerking off and watching TV for years on end are pretty profoundly depressed or otherwise mentally ill in some way, not typical. Healthy human beings want to do things, they don't need to be forced off the couch with the threat of starvation or homelessness

Torka fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 27, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Following on from that it probably doesn't make much sense to organise society around spiting the relatively small percentage of sad people who feel completely fulfilled by video games and masturbation.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Yeah thinking that the majority of people would sit around doing nothing given the chance is pretty misanthropic. Though no doubt the people who believe that would consider themselves "realists".

The most charitable explanation for that belief I can think of is that maybe they're observing people who get a week off to recuperate from a lovely job spending it not doing much and making an unwarranted extrapolation from that.

• Locked thread