Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
It honestly depends on the person. I have talked a t length about this on SA but I am lifer ditch-digger and am 100% OK with that because people need my services and my perverse sense of accomplishment comes from helping people get useless poo poo.

When I was unemployed for months on end, it was the closest of suicide idealization I've ever come. And I have poo poo to do. Tons. I have poo poo that has been planning for decades to do and I didn't do any of it because I was too paralyzed with hating myself for not contributing to society and living off of my savings and goodwill. I had nothing to wake up for, not even to volunteer.

However, now that I am heavily employed - I want to finally do things. My free time is suddenly insanely valuable and I use it as such, and I take much bigger pleasure in things when I have a deadline. It's my antidepressant, considering I can't afford drugs. It keeps my brain basically 'happy' for lack of a better word.

To quote Mr. McCormik from South Park: "Weekends are meaningless when you are unemployed."

My only issue with my lifestyle is other people have issues with it. A lot of people look down at me for willingly being a cog and would probably prefer I never get paid at all. Not surprising, I work way, way more hours than most of these people for a quarter of their pay.

Something that can immediately help with America's attitude towards labor is uncoupling health insurance from employment. For a lot of people, if you aren't working, you don't deserve to see a doctor. Besides a 'loving poors/my taxes' attitude - I think that entirely stems from a weird, oppressive education system that encourages a worldview of Creators vs. Parasites and no grey areas.

I should know, I am a product of it - not working literally sadbrains me and makes me feel like A Bad American That Don't Deserve Anything Good. That can't be healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread