Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

crack mayor posted:

I have never had a job where I couldn't wait to get there in the morning? I am definitely in the crowd of people who go to work because it pays the bills. I think it's weird when people say that if they were suddenly millionaires they would keep working. It's either they have no identity outside of their job or they have no dreams.

I work an absolute poo poo job that I'd leave with all of 9 seconds notice if something remotely better came along, but if I came into money I'd eventually keep working. I'd go back to school and get a degree then go do something I actually enjoy. Or if I was really rich maybe set up a foundation and help run that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Anosmoman posted:

Jobs are different from any other activity only in that you get paid for them. It seems absurd that you would feel a need for a job if money is not a motivation. "I need an activity I get paid for though I don't need to get paid." Surely pay is incidental.

What I hear a lot is that people don't know what they would do without a job. Even if they win the lottery they are still certain they would work. That's not really surprising in that we have been conditioned throughout our lives to have places to go where we are told what to do - from elementary school to college to a job. We have become so accostumed to this that many can't imagine life without it. It's really a perversion of the human condition.

No, I know exactly what I'd do, anyone here who has had ever taken a vacation of been unemployed knows what they'd do. However many people feel doing whatever you want all day with no real purpose or obligations actually does get kind of old after a while.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

And I'd also argue that there are a huge number of people who do work and don't feel any purpose or obligation associated with their job, aside from being present so they can receive a paycheck.

Aye, that would be me.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I also think that for a lot of people, hobbies, personal projects, and taking classes aren't really important and don't really bring a lot of satisfaction, they do those things to pass the time or to socialize.

Counterpoint: I think most people are not emotional and personality hulks and have legitimate interests they enjoy taking part in.

• Locked thread