Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Grapplejack posted:

What happens when we use automation to get rid of food service jobs without doing anything else? A McDonald's could be completely automated and only have two people on staff. I like to believe that the government would do something but that seems less and less likely as time goes on.

You literally see this already if you go to Japan.

Go to any restaurant, there's a vending machine in it in which you punch in your orders and put in money, out comes a ticket. You give your ticket to 1 person at the counter. It pretty much eliminates the entire need for cashiers or at least reduces it to like 1/5 as much as before.

Granted I don't think you can do this with cooks (yet at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Shbobdb posted:

So close. The way you make janitorial duties fulfilling is paying top dollar for them. Or incorporating them into a larger framework, like a rotating duty at a co-op (or your house) where no one really likes it but we all do it. Since nobody has to be a janitor, nobody would be one for peanuts.

Artificially propping up wages works up to a point, but when you insist on paying the janitor the same as a professor chances are people will just start investing in self-cleaning technology to replace said janitors as much as possible.

Maybe this is the desired endpoint for you though.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

on the left posted:

The pseudo-gourmet burger niche already has a fully-automated burger cook that is looking for interested buyers: http://momentummachines.com/

I went to what was suppose to be a fully automated Sushi restaurant in Tokyo, turns out it didn't work out and they had to add a couple of guys back in.

But then again, given improvements in technology this one could very well have solved whatever was it which broke the Sushi restaurant.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'm concerned the answer to the first question is no, there's little to no inherent value in work for work's own sake.

So for like a 10 week period of my life I did nothing, I didn't work, look for a job, and I finished school already.

I was absolutely miserable and bored and felt like I was going insane in that time period.

I traveled for a bit in Asia afterwards, but got bored of that after a month or two.

Then I got another job, and subsequently went back to school, I can absolutely say I that even though the job was kinda boring it was a much better period of my life than those 10 weeks.

I mean, maybe there are a portion of the population which can play around and invent stuff or create art or whatever, I'm just someone who'd rather be working. And I suspect most of the population isn't too different and the % that could enjoy actually create art in their free time is pretty small.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Talmonis posted:

We absolutely have the resources to be post scarcity in the United States, but not the will to do so.

Post-scarcity does not mean what you think it means because even if we had magical replicators we are still stuck with a finite amount of natural resources/energy.

quote:

There are absolutely enough resources in America alone to support food, shelter and clean water for its population.
This doesn't qualify as a post-scarce society

• Locked thread