Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure about this. Until we invent self-cleaning toilets and the like, I don't think scrubbing toilets will ever be fulfilling beyond giving the scrubber money (or, in the case of your own toilet, a clean toilet to use). You can certainly increase the pay level to a point where it's an attractive job to someone with a mincome, but that doesn't mean it can be made "fulfilling."

For some people, "fulfilling" is very much "earns a fair amount of money for a physical task." The key difference is the amount earned for it will actually reflect how much value is placed on clean toilets, rather than coercing people to clean toilets with the threat of starvation.

If your society requires the threat of death to accomplish tasks, it's an unsustainable, dysfunctional society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

PT6A posted:

Well, that relates back to the question posed by the thread, more or less: does work create any fulfilment outside of meeting financial needs/wants?

That wasn't the question posed by the thread, though. The question posed was does work have value beyond meeting financial needs; that is, is there inherent good to working and, if we reached a post-scarcity world where the entirety of manual labour was 100% automated, is it an inherent good to still have people be made to "work." That's a different question to can work be fulfilling outside of meeting financial needs, because the obvious answer to that is yes, where as far as I'm concerned the answer to the first question is no, there's little to no inherent value in work for work's own sake.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Typo posted:

Then I got another job, and subsequently went back to school, I can absolutely say I that even though the job was kinda boring it was a much better period of my life than those 10 weeks.

I mean, maybe there are a portion of the population which can play around and invent stuff or create art or whatever, I'm just someone who'd rather be working. And I suspect most of the population isn't too different and the % that could enjoy actually create art in their free time is pretty small.

That's fine, it's not what the question is asking. If YOU find value in working beyond the financial gain, go for gold. As far as I understood the question posed by the thread, though, it was is there inherent moral value in the concept of "work," in the sense that having to do things you don't want to do is character-building or whatever.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Paradoxish posted:

Look, no one is saying that it can't be done. It obviously can be, because people start small businesses every day. The point is that there are a huge number of obstacles that have very little do with one's own skills or the merit of the business, and the amount of risk involved makes it outright foolish and irresponsible for most people to try in the first place.

But if it's even technically possible then it's your own fault for not doing it and society owes you nothing, leech

*farts*

• Locked thread