Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Paradoxish posted:

Talking about adults working to "build character" strikes me as exceptionally condescending. Sure, whatever, maybe flipping burgers as your first job really does teach you something useful, but beyond that it reeks of just world nonsense that we tell ourselves to feel better about the fact that some people will spend their whole lives doing menial work for very little pay.

The reason society spreads such a message is because it's antithetical to the existence of society for a large portion of society to be doing nothing productive, regardless of ideology or post-scarcity situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

What do the people seeking self-fulfillment have to offer to the portion of humanity who is doing all the work that is not fulfilling?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Typo posted:

You literally see this already if you go to Japan.

Go to any restaurant, there's a vending machine in it in which you punch in your orders and put in money, out comes a ticket. You give your ticket to 1 person at the counter. It pretty much eliminates the entire need for cashiers or at least reduces it to like 1/5 as much as before.

Granted I don't think you can do this with cooks (yet at least).

The pseudo-gourmet burger niche already has a fully-automated burger cook that is looking for interested buyers: http://momentummachines.com/

• Locked thread