Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

I think it's questionable how far these jobs could be improved before they just end up being replaced by automated solutions. A lot of work in the service and retail industries is considered bad in part because it involves rote, menial tasks. There's also the bigger issue that improving the working environment doesn't necessarily improve the job, so we're back to the idea that there's no real personal value in the work beyond financial compensation. Getting that financial compensation can be made less arduous, but that doesn't mean workers are getting more out of their jobs.

I think he does have a point that, in addition to the drudgery and low pay, a significant part of what makes low wage work so unpleasant is the attendant sneering/social abuse workers in those positions endure fairly regularly. Not to play into the hands of those on the right that love to bleat about the "dignity of work" (usually as cover for cutting benefits for, say, single mothers on welfare), but working a fast food counter would likely suck less if people didn't treat those doing it as losers/burnouts deserving nothing but contempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
I'm a huge fan of George Orwell, the consequence of having read 1984 at far too young an age, and for my money his two best books (hard to choose, admittedly) are Down and Out in Paris and London and The Road to Wigan Pier, both of which deal in large part with the conditions of the working class/the poor in the interwar period. There's several passages in Down and Out that I think is relevant to this discussion, that come from his reflections on his time working as a plongeur in Paris kitchens:

quote:

A plongeur is a slave, and a wasted slave, doing stupid and largely unnecessary work. He is kept at work, ultimately, because of a vague feeling that he would be dangerous if he had leisure. And educated people, who should be on his side, acquiesce in the process, because they know nothing about him and consequently are afraid of him.

The educated man pictures a horde of submen, wanting only a day's liberty to loot his house, burn his books, and set him to work minding a machine or sweeping out a lavatory. 'Anything,' he thinks, 'any injustice, sooner than let that mob loose.' He does not see that since there is no difference between the mass of rich and poor, there is no question of setting the mob loose. The mob is in fact loose now, and--in the shape of rich men--is using its power to set up enormous treadmills of boredom, such as 'smart' hotels.

• Locked thread