Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Work for me is very spirtually fufilling but that is now in large part because I now work in the public sector and my excess productivity is charity to the commons and public good. When I have time off I lean toward escapist entertainment because my regular everyday activities feel like they have a sense of purpose.

I think a lot of the issues with work come from a lack of worker appreciation for work done caused at least in part in the US by that "puritan work ethic" nonsense. Work is a virtue of having meaning and when employers base line behavior is to treat you as meaningless they're undermining their own value as well.

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm flirting with becoming Baha'i so my attitude towards work has changed with it.
Bahai's are forbidden from becoming ascetics and are expected to be industrious and hold work done in the service of mankind as equal to prayer.
It helps though that I'm actually beginning to enjoy my GIS work and look forward to using it for the benefit of humanity. :sun:

Database the planet! :black101:

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

crack mayor posted:

Is GIS work google image search? Like SEO stuff?

GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems. Its central to datafying the world so we have information tied to spacial reference. Its really under appreciated and really important. GIS is about where system admins were about 15 years ago in terms of appropriate recognition but its really the technology which will transform the social sciences, city planning and just about any tech you can think of. To sum it, we have data now GIS makes all this data we're generating MEAN something.

It really is Gods work.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

crack mayor posted:

This is the first I am hearing about this. It sounds really cool. Some quick searching tells me that it is still kind of a new science because there are not many post-secondary programs about it. Are you working in the GIS field now RuanGacho?

No I'm just part of an IT team in local government that has a GIS Analyst on it, and I have family whom have a degree in Geology now has certificates in it. There are actually programs for it, at least in the Seattle area. A good example of the practice of GIS is google maps, and the information on it. But there could be literally thousands of layers of information on google maps, and that data has to come from somewhere, it comes from local GIS people.

The thing is, like much of the IT field its something really important that schools aren't really catching onto yet, for example when the local highschool did a Storm Water Management project they thought the City Engineer did all the data collection, mapping and presentation that was given to them, our poor GIS guy didn't get any credit :(

If you want to talk about if work has purpose, being in government and working on process improvement as IT like myself or GIS like my co-worker you're entire point of existence in your job is to try to make the world a better more efficient place with less costs for anyone. We as human beings need purpose and everyone in my department is formally private sector, some of them don't want to stay in it forever because they get tired of all the onerous requirements that are put on us to accomplish what should be simple tasks.

• Locked thread