Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I spam that Russell essay at every opportunity, work is a scam. However! Everyone who is dissatisfied with work should try doing something very hard but meaningful that improves people's lives. You may just be flatlining emotionally for want of a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's actually fairly difficult and unusual to spend yourself out of real wealth. If you grew up in a wealthy family with managed funds, you're going to be strongly conditioned against diminishing your principal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ollu posted:

Careful what you choose to do though. I used to teach in inner-city schools until it completely burnt me out. I knew it was good work, but the abuse I experienced every day just ended up being too much.

Not everyone is cut out for working with people directly, I burnt out the first couple of times myself. But I also mean all kinds of jobs and volunteering that deals with people's access to services.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

I'm a bit confused as to whether we're regarding work as literally just effort-for-pay, or are including substantially work-like pursuits (volunteering at a soup kitchen, writing a blog just for fun, gardening, etc.). When people talk about how work is character-building, I think they're usually talking about productive effort in general, not solely anything that produces income. Nobody (well, almost nobody) thinks of stay-at-home moms as lazy idlers.

Now that I actually work with homeless people, I understand how truly useless many kinds of volunteering are. Those jobs could be done more efficiently by staff, but volunteers are used with the hope that they will donate money or spread the word about the program, leading to donations. If you come down and ladle out soup you ain't poo poo.

Not really apropos of anything, just thought I'd mention it. I think that people who do productive work of any kind outside of what they are ordered to do by a boss are rare. (Also why most businesses fail)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Just as soon as I can not starve or lose the roof over my head, I'd be down for that. I'd love to be working a CSA project somewhere doing farm-to-table food education... but it doesn't pay the bills, and I've gotta eat too. Habitat for Humanity work on the weekends was good back when I had a job that let me do it, but again, paying the bills had to take precedence.

That's how it is and that's why I spent last year nagging my supervisor constantly pointing out that our company was expecting people to work full time with difficult kids, to have 4 year degrees, and commute every day to a tech center from wherever it is they can find affordable housing, for $12/hour. More people would do important and fulfilling work if the pay wasn't literally moving them backwards in life.

This year they rolled out some fairly significant pay increases but it doesn't change the above factors that much.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Fulfillment is going to look different for different people. Trying to judge and shape how people find fulfillment makes you literally Hitler.

Armani posted:

I should know, I am a product of it - not working literally sadbrains me and makes me feel like A Bad American That Don't Deserve Anything Good. That can't be healthy.

It's totally normal and the man counts on it. And the man loves whenever possible to extend that sense of shame and inferiority to the class of job that people who regard themselves as middle class can see as beneath them. This country's too full of people poisoned with selfishness-as-virtue to get over craving an underclass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

on the left posted:

What do the people seeking self-fulfillment have to offer to the portion of humanity who is doing all the work that is not fulfilling?

I don't know, that's probably why we should end inherited wealth. No more handouts from the government, rich kids!

• Locked thread