Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Well, for a little bit more on the building character aspect of paid work, I'm in a skilled trade and got promoted to supervisor of one of three departments at work earlier this year. I am a pretty introverted and scatterbrained person and would never, ever have taken on workflow and people managing responsibilities if I wasn't being paid to do it. It's a lot of deliberate effort to try and not suck at managing, but it's actually working and I've been getting more comfortable, and much better at things that I generally really don't like doing. So in that aspect, work that can push you out of your comfort zone and get you to improve yourself can build character, and the money aspect is a pretty good carrot to keep going even if its something you find difficult.

"Building character" through forcing yourself to put up with stupid bullshit until you stop caring is completely different and all too common though. I think good work is valuable for most people, but I also think a lot of companies try just try and mentally beat people down until they stop complaining, and I don't know the solution for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread