Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SKELETONS posted:

I always found it interesting that the people who don't need to work (the wealthy) are the ones that work the hardest and seem to enjoy it the most. Those Forbes lists of the wealthiest americans or whatever are almost entirely composed of people still working full time at the thing that made them rich, or some new pursuit (philanthropy).

This is true for some, but there are plenty of others who come into fortunes, spend them frivolously, and are left with next to nothing.

It's also important to remember that what you are calling "working the hardest" is either glad handing or sitting at a desk, not engaging in manual labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Arri posted:

Certain segments of society have a great stake in making sure people continue to believe that not being employed is immoral.

eg the Waltons

on the left posted:

The reason society spreads such a message is because it's antithetical to the existence of society for a large portion of society to be doing nothing productive, regardless of ideology or post-scarcity situations.

Explain how in a post scarcity situation society needs extra people doing meaningless work because that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't worry the economy will magically invent more jobs but it can't if you make us pay lazy slobs waiting tables a decent wage. Also I won't tip them because they should have to face the consequences of their chosen career field.

• Locked thread