Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I work a depressing 9 to 5 as a programmer and I'll never be able to get out of it because it pays the bills. It doesn't matter how much I switch jobs, I will always hate it because it serves no purpose but to make the company more money. I make video games in my spare time and have had several opportunities to show my games out in public and the smiles my games create makes me happier than I've ever been. I'd say it's twice as hard to make a game in my spare time than it is to go to work everyday. I'll never make enough money making games to support my family which means I'm stuck in a 9 to 5 rut for the rest of my life. I wish I had the option to do what I love and can see the very obvious net benefit to society it has but no, if it's not making someone else rich, it's not considered work.

I envy you murphyslaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

wateroverfire posted:

Not to be an rear end but if your games are good why can't you make money from them?

You forgot the :smug: at the end.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

wateroverfire posted:

I'm asking a question because I don't know, dude.

Does this sound pretty much right, poemdexter?

Pretty much. There's 7000+ new apps a day some of which with millions in budget to buy users. Half of "making it" in games is marketing and I just don't have enough time at night to do everything I'd need to do to be successful enough to quit my job. That's just on the mobile side. PC is becoming more and more saturated with games (which is a totally good and cool thing for consumers) and just being on Steam no longer guarantees you've made it. My goals in game dev are to make fun games. I'm not trying to support a family off of it because it's completely unrealistic to expect my salary to be replaced consistently for the rest of my life. No one (if any) makes that kind of money in games.

• Locked thread