Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Depends on your job.
I have worked in a factory, standing for 8 hours in the same place doing literally three to five repeating motions with my hand (controlling springs). When you went through a literal metric ton of metal springs and just in time they are removed a forklift brings a nother fresh ton, killing the tiny feeling of accomplishment you might feel. Clocks run backwards. There's no distraction because it is a factory with moving and dangerous things. You slowly lose your mind, every minute.
I have worked in a factory where I carried around heavy poo poo, leaving home at 5am and coming back at 6, falling into the bed too tired to do anything.
I have also worked in project management with loooong days and tight schedules, with people life depending on your lovely, uninformed decisions and the constant pressure that never lets you go except when doing drugs.

In the first two cases it's hardship, either physical or in the sense of repitiveness and boredom. If it wasn't for the money, I would have quit. I couldn't care less about the result.

In the other case, it is also hard. The stress is terrible especially if you haven't learned how to deal with it. But it's not so much about the money. You are throwing yourself into the thing, you identify with the result. It can be fun and it's terrifying. So here there's value much bedyond the financial stuff.

Therefore it is my belief that only looking at the financial compensation does not fix the issues with labour. It sometimes feels like the American ethos is about hard work, but hard work for money. If you don't earn money, your self image is damaged.
In Germany I feel like this is a bit different. Money is nice and all, but you work hard for the results. For example everyone knows cooks or workers work hard, nobody really thinks CEOs get more money because they work or worked harder.

Economically, of all the things financial compensation can be related to, intensity of effort is pretty far down the list. For the price of labour, it doesn't really matter much how hard the McDonald's dude works or how much the work sucks.

So for me it's obvious that society should not bind the respect for hard work to money as much as America does and this also goes for the leftist crowd, thinking that if person X gets more money from person Y, we wouldn't have problem Z.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread