Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
Certain segments of society have a great stake in making sure people continue to believe that not being employed is immoral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
I think most of us humans have a talent or a passion but in nearly all cases it is undiscovered or unexplored because it gets pushed to the side in favor of wage slavery to survive. If people were free to explore their curiosities and passions with free education and being given the resources to achieve, we would see a much more fulfilled citizenry and humanity would likely progress much faster as well.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
Sorry, I'm not going to answer questions that are predicated on one person being "more valuable" than another based on their economic output.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
I think assuming that most people would just sit around idle if they had the resources to do what inspired them is a pretty loathsome position to take. It's an opinion that one would hold if they thought they were some how better than the majority of society. People sit around depressed because they don't have the means to do anything else, much of the time.

As an aside, can someone explain to me the value that people in the financial industry, who are often paid exorbitant wages, add to society? If the value of a job to society is indicated by how much people are willing to pay for that job to be done, then I'd like to know what the value is of financial work aside from making/moving money.

I would much prefer a technology based gift economy. We're already post-scarcity, and we have the technology to automate most menial work but it isn't done because there is not yet a financial incentive to do so. Perhaps we should take finances out of it then.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp

Cicero posted:

Why would you think this? The money people are willing to pay for a job to be done indicates what value it has for them, either personally or for their business. If I hire an assassin for fifty grand, it isn't because society thinks killing people is worth that much.

It's entirely possible for a job to be locally beneficial but globally detrimental.

I don't believe that sentence you bolded, but a lot of capitalists/neoliberals seem to believe it and they are the demographic that also typically believes that a having a job is morally superior to no job.

• Locked thread