Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zachack posted:

I kinda get what you're going for with this but you really should have picked something like a headhunter (which I think have been heavily replaced by the internet) over a sports agent.

Oh boy would you be wrong. Maybe at the low-to-medium end of the market, headhunters are having a rough time, but at the top end, headhunters make a shitload of money and are heavily, heavily in demand. When you're looking for the best of the best, you have to cast a very wide net, and you're probably looking to hire people that aren't actively looking for a new job. A good friend of mine does this, and his company makes at least six figures per successful hire from what he tells me. Of course, that process can take anywhere from six months to two years depending on the requirements, but even so, it's a lot of money. I don't think monster.com is going to put him out of work any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shbobdb posted:

People say work builds character, but what do we mean by character? Oftentimes, character is the ability to work without complaint. So, it is a meaningless tautology. Work can be meaningful, even liberating. But that type of work is relatively rare and more of a sort of compensated luxury.

I wouldn't say that. Oftentimes, character is the ability to do poo poo you don't want to do but have to without complaint. That can be work, yes, but it can also mean cleaning your toilet, and doing the dishes, and all the little tasks that we hate doing but still have to do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Solenna posted:

Well, for a little bit more on the building character aspect of paid work, I'm in a skilled trade and got promoted to supervisor of one of three departments at work earlier this year. I am a pretty introverted and scatterbrained person and would never, ever have taken on workflow and people managing responsibilities if I wasn't being paid to do it. It's a lot of deliberate effort to try and not suck at managing, but it's actually working and I've been getting more comfortable, and much better at things that I generally really don't like doing. So in that aspect, work that can push you out of your comfort zone and get you to improve yourself can build character, and the money aspect is a pretty good carrot to keep going even if its something you find difficult.

You expressed this very well. I sort of feel the same way about higher education versus simply trying to teach yourself something. Unless you're insanely, insanely self-motivated, it helps to have a purpose behind whatever you're doing besides "it caught my fancy for a while." Doing things you don't want to do, and being able to persevere through setbacks and frustration (which, let's face it, most people will avoid if there's no reason not to) can and will teach you many useful things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Giving people some ability to control their own schedule, giving them more pay, replacing some of the worst jobs with automation and trying to reduce or remove the idea that some jobs are inherently un dignified would probably make a lot of stereotypically awful jobs less unpleasant. Some work is always going to be dull but I don't think it has to be absolute hell.

"The worst jobs" tend to be "anything that involves interacting with the general public," especially in a fast-food or generic retail position, so I doubt we can mechanize away the worst jobs. I worked at a Subway, and while chopping veggies and washing dishes weren't my favourite things, I'd happily do it all day if it meant avoiding that one rear end in a top hat customer that has the magical power to make your life seem like a living hell (oddly enough, there always seems to be at least one of these per shift).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Obviously, changes would have to be made to the manufacturing process to make it more rewarding. It is a change in focus, that's all. Ditto with things like janitorial duties and such.

I'm not sure about this. Until we invent self-cleaning toilets and the like, I don't think scrubbing toilets will ever be fulfilling beyond giving the scrubber money (or, in the case of your own toilet, a clean toilet to use). You can certainly increase the pay level to a point where it's an attractive job to someone with a mincome, but that doesn't mean it can be made "fulfilling."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arri posted:

Sorry, I'm not going to answer questions that are predicated on one person being "more valuable" than another based on their economic output.

Good thing my question isn't based on that, then. Would you care to answer it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Quantum Mechanic posted:

For some people, "fulfilling" is very much "earns a fair amount of money for a physical task." The key difference is the amount earned for it will actually reflect how much value is placed on clean toilets, rather than coercing people to clean toilets with the threat of starvation.

Well, that relates back to the question posed by the thread, more or less: does work create any fulfilment outside of meeting financial needs/wants? For some jobs, I would say the answer is obviously yes. There are many people, though far from a majority, who enjoy what they do and derive value from it outside of financial gain (not to say that they would necessarily do it in the absence of financial gain entirely). I'm guessing, though, that the person who scrubs toilets for a living will only ever derive value from that job in a financial sense. If they can, all the best to them, I just can't imagine how or why it would happen.

I agree that people shouldn't be motivated to do it because they'll starve otherwise, and even as a generally right-wing person, I firmly believe that a mincome would be a wonderful idea. As an aside, I'm not sure why mincome is such an unpopular idea: it's great for everyone, unless you already have money and your life's plan is to sit on your rear end and do nothing. As a rich person that already has capital to fund entrepreneurship, you'll enjoy access to much larger markets for whatever it is you plan to do to make money, because suddenly more people have more money to spend. Whatever you pay in extra tax to fund such a program, you should easily be able to make back through the provision of goods and services to the new, wider market. A mincome would, then, essentially be a tax on the idle rich, and that's something that I'm quite okay with.

Shbobdb posted:

So close. The way you make janitorial duties fulfilling is paying top dollar for them. Or incorporating them into a larger framework, like a rotating duty at a co-op (or your house) where no one really likes it but we all do it. Since nobody has to be a janitor, nobody would be one for peanuts.

Is financial reward "fulfilling," though? It's certainly beneficial, but I don't think it creates a sense of fulfillment by itself. I know plenty of high-paid lawyers and such who hate their job, and hate their life even though they're well-compensated. I agree that people would probably be happier than they are now if poo poo jobs were at least well compensated, but I don't think it will fix the problem of people feeling unfulfilled or unhappy with their lives.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Typo posted:

Granted I don't think you can do this with cooks (yet at least).

It's just a matter of mechanizing things properly. There are vending machines that can make pizza now, I'm told. Eventually I have no doubt that low-skill cooks will be obsolete, though I'm not sure if fine dining will ever be financially feasible to mechanize.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I think having people who are, if only for an hour, below you is part of the appeal for a lot of people.

...that would explain a lot of the dickish behaviour I encountered when I worked at Subway.

Seriously, though, what kind of rear end in a top hat believes that (consciously or subconsciously)?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cicero posted:

I'm pretty sure some people legitimately enjoy games like FarmVille, though, it's just that few people do in SA's primary demographic of technologically-adept young males.

Also, World of Warcraft is equally monotonous and engineered to "addict" people, and it's quite popular among SA's demographic. I'd say it's a pretty good game, too, even if it isn't 100% my cup of tea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If only there were some kind of systems available by which people with good ideas could somehow secure financial backing to put them into action. Why, it would be so revolutionary, I'm sure you could make multiple television shows about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Being a dancing monkey for a group of billionares to judge with an audience of millions isn't exactly a positive thing.

Yeah, I was being a little facetious there. You do realize there are venture capitalists that don't have TV shows, yes?

• Locked thread