Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

If I was rich I would spend my days traveling and educating myself, most likely. It's not like I'd ever run out of interesting places to visit/new things to learn/new people to meet.

Traveling definitely gets boring and you would run out of interesting places to visit. The difference between places isn't really that big, especially the more places you go to, and the impact of a place on you becomes increasingly minimal.

To that you'd have to add the fact that you're visiting these places in the context of leisure travel (which is a very limited context) and meeting people there in the context of being a leisure traveler (which is also very limited). You would be fundamentally unable to connect to anyone other than other rich permanent travelers seeing as you can't even relate to the most basic thing that almost everyone shares: doing work.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I think Helsing's comment on video games and Netflix is actually pretty relevant here. We tend to see time outside of work as time for socializing or free time for sitting around doing nothing, but there's no reason that has to be the case. You can learn new skills, take classes, pick up hobbies, pursue personal projects, and do any number of other things that I suspect most people would find more fulfilling and productive than their actual jobs.

I think that often the value of things like hobbies, personal projects, vacations, travel, etc. is in how they contrast from the rest of our lives, i.e. the tasks we have to do even though we don't necessarily want to. Without tasks that you have to do even though you don't want to (like 'a job' or 'all the tasks involved in taking care of a family'), then these other things become a lot less interesting.

The way people spend their time outside of work has to do with what they need after having worked (rest, contact with people they like, etc.). The way people spend their time when they don't have to work anymore isn't the same, because the needs aren't the same, which is why people say that they start getting bored after being unemployed too long or having a vacation that's too long.

I also think that for a lot of people, hobbies, personal projects, and taking classes aren't really important and don't really bring a lot of satisfaction, they do those things to pass the time or to socialize.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Enjoying taking part in hobbies doesn't mean you would like to spend your life doing these hobbies. Or that, in the absence of work and/or other tasks, you'd enjoy these hobbies the same way.

• Locked thread