Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Jobs are different from any other activity only in that you get paid for them. It seems absurd that you would feel a need for a job if money is not a motivation. "I need an activity I get paid for though I don't need to get paid." Surely pay is incidental.

What I hear a lot is that people don't know what they would do without a job. Even if they win the lottery they are still certain they would work. That's not really surprising in that we have been conditioned throughout our lives to have places to go where we are told what to do - from elementary school to college to a job. We have become so accostumed to this that many can't imagine life without it. It's really a perversion of the human condition.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Traveling definitely gets boring and you would run out of interesting places to visit. The difference between places isn't really that big, especially the more places you go to, and the impact of a place on you becomes increasingly minimal.

To that you'd have to add the fact that you're visiting these places in the context of leisure travel (which is a very limited context) and meeting people there in the context of being a leisure traveler (which is also very limited). You would be fundamentally unable to connect to anyone other than other rich permanent travelers seeing as you can't even relate to the most basic thing that almost everyone shares: doing work.

Not really though. I mean if you check into a hotel and then take a tour of the local monuments then yes but there are more sensible ways to experience places and people.

Bates fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Enjoying taking part in hobbies doesn't mean you would like to spend your life doing these hobbies. Or that, in the absence of work and/or other tasks, you'd enjoy these hobbies the same way.

Well we shouldn't generalize - some people probably can't function well without the structure of a job while others are perfectly happy to spend their lives building robots in their basement. Certainly we can find examples of both people who work a lot at the expense of all other things in their lives and others who work very little or not at all to pursue hobbies.

One thing to note is that when people get bored without a job it might be because everybody else is working. Most activities are scheduled around the 9-5 work day and if you want to socialize you have a problem when there's nobody around. Obviously this wouldn't be an issue if fewer people worked. Honestly I find it exceedingly difficult to imagine I'd be bored doing different things with different people in different places everyday.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Cicero posted:

I'm a bit confused as to whether we're regarding work as literally just effort-for-pay, or are including substantially work-like pursuits (volunteering at a soup kitchen, writing a blog just for fun, gardening, etc.). When people talk about how work is character-building, I think they're usually talking about productive effort in general, not solely anything that produces income. Nobody (well, almost nobody) thinks of stay-at-home moms as lazy idlers.

The OP said

quote:

Work in this case I will narrow to activities performed in the pursuit of monetary benefit.

So it would probably be counter-productive to assume all kinds of other meanings of work in this thread.

• Locked thread