Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chris James 2 posted:

I like that people are just ignoring him fighting and being a dick in college, and in the Vikings.

Him being a jerk in 2 places? Okay. A 3rd place though? No, now something must be made up here!!! He's changed for the better! Hit piece, slander, fraud!

I think people are doubting he body slammed a dude more than him being kind of a jerk.

I mean those two don't have to follow each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brannock posted:

The Vikings were lucky that it worked out, but trading away Harvin for Patterson is essentially a wash at best, and at worst you bust on that pick (or someone else drafts Patterson before the Vikings could). It was a risky move that paid off for the Vikings. What about Harvin made the Vikings want to take that risk? Was it really just the money?

Its the same reasoning the Eagles used so it seems to be a common rationale.

Whether it is smart or not is a completely different matter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

They're probably not limited to that though. But goons think they know players better than the GMs and coaches that deal with them on a daily basis so whatever.

Ah appeal to the infallible nature of NFL GMs.

That is a smart move and not at all an appeal to authority.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

And it's better to assume that what you know publicly about players is the whole story? Because that's what everyone else is doing. And the Seahawks are not idiots.

Honestly yes, it is much much smarter to assume these are lies than the fact that for some reason the Hawks was able to completely shut the media out from reporting something that happened in a practice that then happened to leak right when the player was traded.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brannock posted:

Have any of you personally interacted with Percy Harvin?

That doesn't really matter, he could be an extreme rear end in a top hat and insufferable up to Kluwe levels it doesn't matter.

You can't argue that he was an rear end in a top hat and that GMs know better at the same time. They are directly opposing arguments.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brannock posted:

Simply claiming that these are opposing statements doesn't actually make them opposing statements. I'd expect a D&D refugee to be capable of constructing a better rebuttal than that. It also seems you didn't understand the point I was making, so I'll restate it for your convenience: two consecutive front offices have found Harvin to be not worth keeping around and have jettisoned him. We know his talent isn't in question. Thus, there must be something else about Harvin that would make him undesirable. The seemingly obvious factor seems to be his contract. Why not just claim that, though? Why leak all this stuff about him, instead of just going "He wasn't worth it."? If you argue that there is nothing else about Harvin making him undesirable, then you are arguing that two consecutive NFL front offices have acted entirely arbitrarily in their handling of Percy Harvin, which seems to me wildly improbable.
They are opposing arguments. Competent GMs don't trade away good players because they are assholes. Good GMs aren't that petty. My argument is sound. Why do they do it? Because it is easier to sell if you make the player out to be a problem, rather than potentially exposing the coaches to criticism for not being able to use a talented player.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brannock posted:

There are two responses to this that come to mind:

1. You're suggesting that the Seahawks front office isn't actually a good front office, despite available evidence.

2. You're suggesting that trading away assholes makes a GM not a good GM, and in doing so, you dismiss the possibility that a player may indeed actually have a significantly negative influence on the mythical locker room. (Two of the names mentioned earlier as counterexamples, Ray Rice and Richie Incognito, were either neutral or well-liked by their teammates as far as I can tell.)

Those rebuttals only work if you assume that they actually got rid of him for being an rear end in a top hat.

Also I discount the idea that he was a lockerroom cancer, as there was no evidence of that. The Hawks just won the superbowl and are playing about as well as they were last year, though their D isn't as good for obvious reasons.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brannock posted:

Then we go back to where we started, why leak all those stories about Harvin instead of just saying "He wasn't good enough of a player"? The Seahawks are still on the hook for his salary this season and they're still within contending distance of the playoffs, and they have a dearth of talent at WR. They gave up a star player for a 6th round pick with no good alternatives at the position and a quarterback who needs fast targets to get open to succeed in an offense crippled by a bad OL.

Given the confirmed/obvious/factual information we have, and ignoring those leaks, the trade doesn't really make sense for the Seahawks for multiple reasons.

Obviously they saw his salary and production and felt he just wasn't worth keeping long term, so they figured they would get what they could. The hawks obviously pulled a play out of the eagles playbook and decided that it was much better from a PR perspective to push the blame squarely on Harvin in a way that meant there was no blowback.

edit: So let me ask you a question, why do you think the Eagles cut Jackson?

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 18, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

Is this your reality or what really happened?

They tend to intersect.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Schwack posted:

That doesn't square with their usually long leash for talent. Harvin only got 8 games for this staff. I'm not saying all these rumors are true, but people suddenly acting like sports journalists couldn't have been kept out of the loop is kind of odd.

It's a bizarre move when a player is so obviously talented, but I'm not willing to discount that he may have been a problem. He only played 6 of the final 17 snaps against Dallas. Most of us attributed that to the OC, but it's being reported that he was checking out of games with some frequency. I could see that creating a real problem with the staff.

Hindsight says the trade never should've been made, but at least they pull something out of the wreckage. Not much, but something.

Is that leash long because they have talent or because they produce but still have other problems?

Because Percy obviously wasn't producing and the hawks are going to need that money eventually, for Wilson.

I mean I got no issue with them doing it for that reason, its a solid reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

commy gun posted:

Deeming a player not productive after 6 weeks is dumb and the Seahawks aren't dumb. They gave up a lot to get him and gave him an extension so they'd be inclined to give it time. They didn't.
He has played in a lot more than six games. they have had him for over a season at the least.

commy gun posted:

I also don't buy that they'd trade him because the coach looks silly. They let Pete Carroll start Russell Wilson over a free agent QB, and it was much of an eye raiser as I can remember. They don't cave to media scrutiny.

A rookie QB? That isn't silly, and it hasn't been silly in years. Its much rarer to see the rookies sit, if you have any hope for them at least.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He outplayed him training camp, its not weird or that silly.

Though I should mention I don't say they traded him to avoid looking silly, I said that was probably the motive for the leaks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chichevache posted:

I'd argue that trying to enact change with a retard coach is a good thing and that Harvin's insubordination was coming from a good place. Bevell's play calling is unacceptable and someone needs to change that.

Plus you all would look a little hypocritical considering how much you post that Marshawn lynch double flips OC gif.

So at least you are consistent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cole posted:

This is the same TFF that got mad at me when I said Mike Evans was a pussy and cost us the game by getting the wind knocked out of him.

The same TFF that regularly says they hope everyone on both teams dies in a stadium implosion or a plane crash.

Some jokes aren't ok (knee jerk calling one guy a pussy when you just lost a game because of him) and some are ok (hoping 106+ people die).

What I'm saying is TFF isn't consistent at all.

What did this have to do with my post.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

My favorite team suddenly releases hit pieces on a dude and yeah I buy it

Harvin admits two things, denies one, and OH WELL OF COURSE HES LYING

Thanks AAC

Did he admit to the body slam or the just a fight in general.

I mean I want it to be true, but I have my doubts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nuance being "my team is good and always makes good decisions."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

drat, I agree with that Truther son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

He's ignoring some of the complexities of the situation, but 8 years ago, half of this website would be tripping over it's own dick to agree with everything he just said.

Wait I am confused, this seems anti-war?

Though lol at the specifics of his plan.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 23, 2014

• Locked thread