Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Brannock posted:

A first-round pick is not more valuable than a proven first-round-pick-worthy player. I will never understand this interpretation of value. What does a first-round pick do? Give you a shot at drafting a star player. What was Percy Harvin? A star player. You knew for absolutely sure that Percy Harvin is a young star; a first round pick is a relatively unknown quantity. When you trade Percy Harvin away for a first round pick and you use that same first round pick to attempt to draft Percy Harvin's replacement it's a wash.

There are like no examples of this working out in the NFL within the last 20 years, btw.

I mean I read Redskins fans saying this same thing in like 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

You can make an argument for Jared Allen, I'm drawing a blank on others though.

He's a good example.

Even something successful like Atlanta thinking Julio Jones was worth everything they gave up has led them to ruin.

And that's a team with a great QB as well, not like the usual suspects who think DickSuck McHoolihan just needs that one elite receiver to make the next step.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ozu posted:

Atlanta also traded a late 1st to the Jets for John Abraham. He was absolutely worth it. Jets got Nick Mangold out of the deal. Also worth it.
:smith:d

That was actually questionable when it happened since at the time Abraham couldn't keep his alcoholism under control.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

russell wilson wasn't a first rounder and it was a big head scratcher when matt flynn was mysteriously benched.

of course now we know that wilson is good and flynn is terrible, but at the time flynn was some hot poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

He outplayed him training camp, its not weird or that silly.

Though I should mention I don't say they traded him to avoid looking silly, I said that was probably the motive for the leaks.

actually matt flynn was "injured" for almost all of preseason and training camp. there wasn't actually a real competition.

again, likely because carroll realized what a turd he was.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Utopian Mind posted:

Oh man, we're totally pulling a Tampa Bay post Superbowl win aren't we?

A slow, inexorable slide into inescapable mediocrity?

Who is the Pac 12 version of Schiano? Besides Jim Mora Jr, of course.

Maybe Rich Rod?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

good lord i thought i had a good rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sweet thursday posted:

Football... *long puff of e-cig* is nothing but the geopolitics of moving a ball around

http://youtu.be/lFlcC8p8-nM?t=2m24s

• Locked thread