Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis (translated as Rage of Bahamut: Genesis) is a fantasy action anime based on Cygames' mobile card battle game of the same name. I've heard the game is not very good but it's apparently doing well enough for Cygames to pour money into the creation of this thing. Although it is based on a card game you wouldn't know that from watching the series; so far it's just a vaguely European-ish fantasy show with gorgeous animation (see gifs below). It's being animated by Studio Mappa and is being directed by Keiichi Sato, the guy who directed Tiger and Bunny.

The Story (just gonna quote Funimation's summary)
Two thousand years ago, the black-and-silver-winged dragon, Bahamut, terrorized the magical land of Mistarcia. The humans, god, and demons that inhabited the land united forces against the fiend and sealed its power into a key which was split in two, one half protected by gods and the other protected by demons. Now, Mistarcia is a peaceful realm – until a human woman steals the god’s half of the key.

The Characters

Favaro Leone
A brash and cocky bounty hunter who quickly gets in way over his head. Think Captain Jack Sparrow.

Kaisar Lidfard
A former knight turned bounty hunter due to Favaro's actions. Constantly chases after Favaro in search of revenge.

Amira
A mysterious woman who stole the gods' key and who seeks the dangerous realm of Helheim. Overhears Favaro boasting about having been there.

Jeanne D'Arc
Leader of the Orlean Knights, who hunt for Amira.

Bacchus and Hansa
The god of wine and his pet duck. Pays bounty hunters for capturing criminals.

Why you should watch this
The animation is absolutely gorgeous. The action scenes are very fun and involved, with Favaro using clever tactics to win fights. Favaro himself is an entertainingly selfish jackass in the vein of Jack Sparrow, with Kaisar being an excellent straight man to his antics. Has good pacing, good music, good voice acting, and a good mix of action and comedy. Also has a metal as hell OP.

Where can I watch this
It is being simulcast by Funimation on their website. 11:30 EST on Mondays

The GIFs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Oh gently caress I just realized this scene has Kaisar in the reflection of the sword :aaa:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This is a pretty good show. Thea animation is great, the protagonist is a punk, the heroine is the strongest fighter, and the rival/best friend is a cutie.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Poor Amira, someone stole her pants. That seems to be happening a lot this anime season.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wow, this show is pretty great. It's pretty as heck, there's swashbuckling, alley-pissing, demon boozing, and Favaro is great fun to watch. Interesting character design for him and Kaisar. Lips...

This wasn't on my radar at all until it was talked up in the Fall thread. It's a drat shame Funimation got it, though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Amira's episode one outfit works way better.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

paragon1 posted:

I am really going to miss that hat.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
That was a very nice hat...

But yeah, this is surprisingly very good, and pretty much my favourite show of this season. The ginger afro is p epic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

paragon1 posted:

I agree. Mayb if her shorts didn't have an oddly plain design to them, or she had a hairstyle that didn't look like floppy rabbit or dog ears, or if she was wearing maybe one more layer underneath on her top it wouldn't look so bad, but as it is it was like the character designer had all these ideas for what he wanted in an outfit, then through them all together without thinking how they'd look together. All the other outfits on the show for other characters look fine, which makes it extra weird.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Her design is certainly an oddity, but I think it works well enough. Amira seems like a really fun character, too. I had a big goofy smile plastered on my face during the whole dance scene. That was just straight up great.

edit: No, not enough, I haven't praised the dance scene enough. The whole bar scene was actually really great. As well as the stargazing afterwards. So good.

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 18, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I had to do a double take of the first picture in the op because I was watching ideon this weekend.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

.Clash posted:

I am really going to miss that hat.

I had missed it the first time around, but it was nice how they followed through with the "fall out of the sky naked" concept by implying a Terminator-style outcome.

-->

RIP hat

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's wonderful.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Oh that's beautiful. I didn't notice that either.

I did like that the land they're currently in is called "Wyaterp", though.
Wyatt Earp.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Man, between this and Chaika (and a few less-good-but-still-decent shows), we're in a renaissance of fantasy adventure anime.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I don't remember when was the last time I watched animation this good in a TV show.

Dem lips tho.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
This show has been awesome so far considering the source material.
Hopefully it'll continue to shine all the way to the end.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Man I don't know but this show just works. It has a generic as hell setting but the main character is different from what we usually get in anime (both in look and attitude), the animation/art is nice (while it lasts) and it has at least one interesting plot hook (no not the key, the reason Kaiser is poor now).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Relin posted:

Man I don't know but this show just works. It has a generic as hell setting but the main character is different from what we usually get in anime (both in look and attitude), the animation/art is nice (while it lasts) and it has at least one interesting plot hook (no not the key, the reason Kaiser is poor now).

The animation is mega fluid and the storytelling is actually really good, even if fantasy world as a setting is pretty played out.

New episode is out and the show remains really good, it's a bit less comedic than the first one was, but then that after credits scene!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Holy moley, that was an episode and a half. I thought it was odd that that weird girl who's arm drops off in the opening was just a one-off, but nope. :allears:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Now theres two beings dedicated to annoying Kaisar!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
How did that even happen? I love it, but I'm so confused.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Zombies, catgirls, tragic backstories, Miyuki Lolishiro, this episode had everything! :allears:

Also, Amira half-hearted punching zombies was great. This show is pretty great.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I had a conversation yesterday in which said "I want a Final Fantasy anime."

Then I watched this and I'm treating it as Final Fantasy: The Western: The Anime.

Animation is awesome so far.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's been at least two Final Fantasy animes. Plus that CG Movie. And the CG OVA(?) thing they did for 7.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Relin posted:

A major asset to the show so far has been the willingness to back everything up logically on multiple levels: Amira can't just fly to Helheim with one wing, and Favaro can't just book it to Helheim because they need income to fund their travels. The antidote stuff especially could have been explained away after the fact without any extra scenes, but the fact they chose to show that rather than focus more on, say, the entire history of the God Key is adding emphasis on stuff happening now over stuff that's already happened. Kaisar's given backstory, but they didn't make it a whole affair with dialogue between him and his father, or scenes of him playing with friends while his father narrates about his son's bright future. It's just there to say, "This is Kaisar's feelings on certain factions and how he relates to others, plus his own personal conflict."

While the style has stayed pretty much consistent across these first 3 episodes (in terms of layering effects and on-model characters), I think this third episode has shown some of its first cost-cutting measures, noticeably the scenes where Kaisar fights all the zombies which were all CG with frames chopped out. I think it still looks fantastic from pose to pose, but it's noticeably sharper than any of the other traditionally animated scenes thus far involving our three leads.

From what I remember about Tiger & Bunny, it too did alot with a property that had had zero push beforehand, with about as many unique side-characters and good judgment calls over world-building details.

Lookin' good, duck

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 21, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I didn't even notice FAVAROOO.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
A demon, two bounty hunters and a necromancer walk into a bar...

I'm really enjoying this show - it makes your average bland fantasy setting feel fresh through all the little touches.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Well, that was sure a episode.
Is the game itself any good?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Well, that was sure a episode.
Is the game itself any good?

If you like touching a cellphone screen at regular intervals and sometimes paying for the privilege of doing so more often, yes.

Otherwise no.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The ultimate joke of this show is that the game it's about sucks.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Zombie ship, demon ship, giant crabs, tight-rope battles, zombies and demons brawling, more backstory, more demon-aristocracy scheming? Yeah sure I'm up for that. Good episode.

I don't get how this show is doing a lot of things strangely well. It's this weird combo that somehow works. A dash of Cowboy Bebop, Pirates of the Caribbean-style over-the-topness, hints of events playing on a larger scale that reminds me of the Malazan books, decent choices for music, and great animation quality although it looks like it's dropping somewhat from the initial episode, but even if it goes downhill from here I'll keep watching.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm glad that this anime puts to rest the question we've all been asking: who would win in a fight, zombies or fishmen?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A lot of anime this season seem to be doing after credits stingers.

Another fantastic episode. The animation quality is definitely lower, but that's not terribly surprising and doesn't mean much since it's still fantastic.

I really like how the world feels like its actually inhabited, what with all the stuff going on as our heroes go through the town and stuff.

Can't wait to see Kaisar and Amira, and Favaro and Rita interacting with each other. Especially the latter pair. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The next episode should be interesting because on the face of it, Favaro has very little reason to mount a rescue mission. Pretty much everything he ever wanted just happened this episode, and Rita has little reason to want or need his help. I guess this is where that pesky conscience of his finally starts making itself heard.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

Fantasy zombies are way better than sci-fi zombies. They're actually useful. Hello, would you like an army to do your bidding? Okay here you go. Cut all the medical bullshit and just look at zombies for the necromantic conjurations they are.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I am incredibly ready for the C'thulu airship.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Someone should gif that sweet crab-kick. Any other show would have replayed that kick from three angles with ever-increasing zoom, but they completely no-selled it as just a casual reflex. Great stuff.

This show is damnably good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV19-pGlZes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCooper
Oct 27, 2014

There's nothing quite like urinating out in the open air.
Agreed with Squidster - show is damnably good. Honestly, I wasn't going to watch it since it was based off some pay-to-play trading card game I hadn't even heard about, but it seemed to be getting a lot of positive attention so I gave it a chance. I'm impressed with the character designs most of all, especially that they took a gamble with how refreshingly unconventional-looking Favaro is (compared to the majority of shaggy-haired featureless animu protagonists). Amira's design is incredibly attractive without going into bikini-armor territory, and Rita is cute without shedding the fact that she's a zombie and looks like one too.

Can't wait to see what the next episodes bring. Yes, I would let her touch my duck.

• Locked thread