Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Welp. The show finally dropped all the pretense and just wholly embraced being Anime Pirates of the Caribbean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Well, curiosity got the best of me, and I played the game. It is one of the absolute worst pieces of poo poo I've ever put on my phone. Slow as gently caress, too. It's like you're playing in a bastardized web browser or something.

With regards to the show, I'm hoping it ends up turning into a Road to El Dorado dynamic between the two.

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
I don't understand how Rita is still alive. Did she necromance herself?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm betting she made herself a lich or something terrifying like that.

Any word on how many episodes this is going to be?

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

I'm betting she made herself a lich or something terrifying like that.

Any word on how many episodes this is going to be?

12. :(

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
24 episodes of budget tho :getin:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was a lot of things happening. I loved it.

Totally down for team-swinging, too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

chiyosdad posted:

I don't understand how Rita is still alive. Did she necromance herself?

Well, Kaisar asked the same thing, so I suppose we're going to get an answer sooner or later. Probably just another magical artifact or something.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Well, Kaisar asked the same thing, so I suppose we're going to get an answer sooner or later. Probably just another magical artifact or something.

i feel like that was the joke

kaiser asks and then she ignores him and starts doing action stuff

i.e, don't think too much about it, just go with it

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
I was a little disappointed that the giant enemy crab did not have an exposed eye...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Loving the fact that Rita zombified the giant crab and all it did was eat one guy. I'm also loving the fact that we're getting a team switch. It'll be interesting to see how Favaro and Amira play off their new partners rather than each other.

Terper posted:

I'm guessing it's that skull staff of hers.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

ViggyNash posted:

I'm guessing it's that skull staff of hers.
I think it's a skull umbrella, actually.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Great episode this week; nice to see Rita lend a hand in the rescue. By the by, was that knight with the matching amulet the same one who was after Amira a few episodes ago? Oh and,

would make a pretty fun Saturday morning cartoon.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

What the hell. I keep expecting every week to see a downward slope in quality or story, but instead they keep managing to surprise me with more grandiose action, characters I'm genuinely interested to see, and great attention to detail.

I mean, attacking some weird living flying fortress by interrupting the portal to cut off its head, then assaulting it with trebuchets and archers augmented with holy/magic fire, and finishing things off with dragon riders, just seems like a really proper way of getting poo poo done. Medieval anime fantasy battles are usually a lot less thought-out. I also love that, while Favaro, Kaisar, and Rita are all competent, they aren't the typical superawesome band of main characters that slices through everything; they're pretty much hopeless against a well-armed force of knights, a gaggle of demons, or a single stronger demon.

Perhaps I'm more impressed than I should be, probably because I watched a few episodes of Madan no Ou to Vanadis, which kinda pummelled my fantasy anime expectations into the ground and then salted the remains.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No, I'm impressed too. I was worried that the show would loose its spark once the big magical stuff started becoming more and more important, but that was legit fun. It was inventive and cool, and the show neatly wove the core cast into the larger conflict.

While the big battle maybe could have worked in its own, what made it really sing was how it reflected on the characters.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Oh my god, this episode ends with our heroes literally riding off into the sunset on the back of a Zombie Dragon :allears:

How is the show even real?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Am I the only one who got serious flashbacks of Divinity 2 because of this episode? I mean, Ctulhu-like, alive flying fortresses, alien, barren landscapes with impossible terrain and floating pieces of land and uh, dragons.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

This episode was ridiculous without falling into Jojo absurdity, and it was phenomenal. I can't get over Rita's Rocket Punch. When they boarded the Bugship, I thought to myself - I wonder if it's full of skeleton minions? And of course it was.

This show is exceeding my expectations before I even know what they are.

Also, Mustache Knight is absolutely Amira's dad.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

No, I'm impressed too. I was worried that the show would loose its spark once the big magical stuff started becoming more and more important, but that was legit fun. It was inventive and cool, and the show neatly wove the core cast into the larger conflict.

While the big battle maybe could have worked in its own, what made it really sing was how it reflected on the characters.
I too was afraid the show was gonna lose it's charm when it got more serious and high fantasy, but nope.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I take it this show is worth watching?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's the best show of the season, i'd say year if I could even remember what aired this year vs. last year.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I would say it's the best action series of the year.

It's not trying to be grim or edgy, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and all the characters are fresh and likeable. The worldbuilding is seamlessly introduced without infodumps or sexposition, and every episode so far is better than the last. Rage of Bahamut is a gorgeously animated swashbuckling romp from the second you hit play to the minute you start pining for the next episode to drop.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It's up there with Gundam: Reconguista in G as one of my favorite shows this season.
It's basically the Road to El Dorado meets Pirates of the Caribbean in a fantasy realm and it's absolutely wonderful.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kaisar's schtick is getting pretty worn out though.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

AnacondaHL posted:

I for one will never get tried of any scene being interrupted by a call of FAAAVAAAROOOOOOO!

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

It seems like he will be changing his tune in the next episode, seeing as they now seem to be traveling in a group now.

I really like how they make this world feel legitimately huge without making the main characters massive powers in it. It just feels really refreshing to have the characters be people who are just a rogue and knight without them both be some crazy powerful person.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

AnacondaHL posted:

I have a feeling we're going to get some resolution on that now that Favaro can (i think) fully piece together what happened.

Or maybe he'll just sneak off, hard to say.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The portal slicing the demonship's head off shocked me. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Awesome.

Squidster posted:

This show is exceeding my expectations before I even know what they are.

Also, Mustache Knight is absolutely Amira's dad.

Also, both of these things.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Favarro and Rita don't have that much chemistry with one another, which kind of sucked. Though Rita is also very handy at resolving problems, almost too much so. She kind of upstaged every other character this episode (and no, Favarro and Kaisar teaming up on that demon didn't count, it barely fought back).

But the practical applications of magic are really fun in this show. The Orlean Knight's ambush was clever.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - Zombie Rocket Punch

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Rita is great.

It's true that she upstaged the guys this episode, but then Amira upstaged them pretty much every previous episode, so I don't mind.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This is such an odd combination of genres, but it works SO WELL.

Do you guys use SVP to watch this? I've noticed it works spectacularly well for anime.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

I take it this show is worth watching?

Do you like fun? If you do you really should watch this show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

it's the best show of the season, i'd say year if I could even remember what aired this year vs. last year.

Ping Pong, Mushi-Shi, and Space Dandy would like to have a word with you, but yea this is a standout series in what's been a really good year. I do think people are jumping the gun in calling it the next Cowboy Bebop, because while both put a unique spin on movie quality direction there's nothing particularly thought provoking going on. However, that people even bring them up in the same sentence shows just how good this show is, and considering the pedigree at work here there's a good chance that they'll pull something really great by the end. Even if they don't, this is a sold, fun ride.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Reporting back to say this is good. I can see where the Cowboy Bebop comparisons are coming from, since it, too, was a fun rear end ride, regardless of being thought provoking. And Leone reminds me of a less mature Spike Speigel. Maybe it's the afro? Was that thing on Spike's head an afro?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 4, 2014

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

It's a perm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Ghost posted:

And Leone reminds me of a less mature Spike Speigel.

Leone is just a dude in way over his head, which makes him all the more fun. If you want a less mature Spike Spiegel that's Gintoki Sakata's whole reason for existing.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I got drawn in by the excellent animation in episode one, but I decided to stick with it in episode two in which the protagonist decides to get someone drunk so he could lure them to a secluded spot and murder them. This series so far has excelled at taking cliché stuff and making it delightfully offbeat.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ping Pong, Mushi-Shi, and Space Dandy would like to have a word with you

hahahaha

Like I can accept Mushi-shi but the other two ahahhahhhhhhhhhhha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uh Ping Pong owns, tia.

Bahamut's been fun in a Hollywood blockbuster kinda way, which is something you don't see too often in anime so that's cool. I'm hoping that as we get more involved with the main plot it stays good; I'm just completely uninterested in all this stuff about Bahamut itself and every scene where they hint at how it's going to awaken soon oh nooooooo is the low point of the recent episodes.

• Locked thread