Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
Disclaimer: Ignore any blocks of reality when considering this. This is simply a following dreams post and I just want to know which one I should attempt to follow.

I am 18 Y/O and have been considering what I want to do. There are two different fields in which I am interested in pursuing. One is attempting to act on SNL (Second City in Los Angeles or Chicago), and the other would be NAVY E.O.D. (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) or another job involving explosives. I have done very well in school in Math, Science, and Drama. I believe that if I go fully through with a particular idea that I can achieve it. The only problem is that they are both very appealing to me and I cannot very well follow both. Both have high enough wages for that to not matter to me. Fame is not necessarily something that I care about, it's simply bringing joy to peoples lives. Here are all the bonuses that I can think of in either choice:

Acting Pros:
Good Pay
Fun
I bring joy
I could work with those that brought me happiness

Acting Cons:
No privacy if I make it
I would have to live in either LA or Chicago

E.O.D. Pros:
Save lives
Good Pay
Work for my country, while not directly shooting people
Battle of wits with each bomb I defuse

E.O.D. Cons:
Could fail to save my own life
I wouldn't have a home for as long as I was enlisted
Military isn't the most trustworthy in the bunch

Any help is appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
Just FYI, "Good pay" doesn't mean $250,000 a year or more. Good pay in my mind is about $50,000 a year, or just enough to live comfortably. I know that the chances are slim that's why I said it's a deal job. But I have to at least try to follow my dreams, and this thread will help me decide what I will aim more towards. I think Rhythmic Crotch has a good idea and to use EOD as more of a fallback. I understand that a lot of you have no idea why I would want to go into EOD, but it's more knowing that I am preserving the way of life for others rather than making sure I have food on my table. Also in the end, this is not what YOU think people should do, but rather in my shoes with my skills and ambitions, what you would do. Thanks for all the info so far however!

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012

Veskit posted:

What's wrong with ACME theater, groundlings, or any of the numerous improv groups out there not in chicago or LA? Aren't there a ton of places to get started in New York, and places you wouldn't even think of like Minnesota? You're 18 especially if you have parental help there's no better way to get started in improv than to just dedicate 100% of your focus to an improv group for at least 5-7 years, get really good at it and then figure out a way to monetize it. Then when you probably can't hack it you can go military. I say probably because the odds are wildly against you, but who knows, you may make it. It's worth trying.

The reason that I am choosing Second city over other ones is that this particular improv group is where SNL chooses most of it's cast. It isn't that I am opposed to the others, it's just that is the one that has the highest chance from everything that I have heard.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012

Veskit posted:

There is no way to get into SNL other than to be a really good stand up, really good at improv, or have Lorne Michaels love you. I've never heard a single SNL cast member say "You should go through second city specifically". You're being naive, and in reality it takes talent, the will to do whatever it takes to continue practicing, and luck.

If you're already trying to play the odds other than focus on what it takes you'll never make it and should stop. There is no way to game it so stop trying. At least start by reading/listening to Bossypants if you aren't going to trust me.

Thanks for providing some great advice, it's what I hoped for in posting in this forum. I'll be sure to read Bossypants and see what I think afterwards. I do have the will to practice all the time and make the right connections, but my problem is that is all I will be doing, hence the asking which one. I can't very well go 100% into both.

Thanks again for everyone in the thread helping out!

• Locked thread