Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What's wrong with ACME theater, groundlings, or any of the numerous improv groups out there not in chicago or LA? Aren't there a ton of places to get started in New York, and places you wouldn't even think of like Minnesota? You're 18 especially if you have parental help there's no better way to get started in improv than to just dedicate 100% of your focus to an improv group for at least 5-7 years, get really good at it and then figure out a way to monetize it. Then when you probably can't hack it you can go military. I say probably because the odds are wildly against you, but who knows, you may make it. It's worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

PoorHobo posted:

The reason that I am choosing Second city over other ones is that this particular improv group is where SNL chooses most of it's cast. It isn't that I am opposed to the others, it's just that is the one that has the highest chance from everything that I have heard.

There is no way to get into SNL other than to be a really good stand up, really good at improv, or have Lorne Michaels love you. I've never heard a single SNL cast member say "You should go through second city specifically". You're being naive, and in reality it takes talent, the will to do whatever it takes to continue practicing, and luck.

If you're already trying to play the odds other than focus on what it takes you'll never make it and should stop. There is no way to game it so stop trying. At least start by reading/listening to Bossypants if you aren't going to trust me.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Regardless of how dumb it is, there's no better time than to follow a dream than now and it sucks having people actively encourage you away from something like that. You've done the best you can when you give them all relevant information, and let them run along on their merry little way into a dumb direction until it doesn't work.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Like I said, there are reasons for wanting to be an actor, but
PAY should never be one of them.

If it motivates him to becoming an actor (which he could use every and ALL motivation to) let him believe he's going to be a millionaire actor. gently caress it why not. As long as he has a cutoff date of this isn't working for me who cares why if it's his dream.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

moana posted:

Because he specifically said pay wasn't a motivator. Also he posted in BFC, if he wants a forum blowjob about his dreams he can go post in E/N.

Fine, I'll put my "BFC" take on a dreams then.

I don't see the harm is having a pie in the sky dream of what you want to do with your life. I think it's ok to have a dream even when it's far fetched that it's even possible as long as you are willing to put in the effort needed, and at least have a backup plan for if/when things fail. Since becoming a great actor is a possibility, even though it's a long shot I could see puting it up there as a motivating factor for wanting to become an actor, even if it's a long shot.

Good criticism is managing expectations, and going through what is required to accomplish a dream. OP is probably not going to make 50k a year acting, but clearly that's just what is needed to get by. Op should really understand how much friggin work it takes to do it.

A backup plan for acting should be making sure you're working before you're acting, and not trying to find a troop or acting gig before you start even having income. College is also a good option where you can study something on the side as a "just in case" while also practicing acting and seeing if you can make something of yourself through acting. It worked well for George Takei.

A forums blowjob would be telling OP that they will succeed if they put their mind to it. I'm trying to say that it's possible to achieve, but be proactive in having a backup, and understand what it takes to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I would like a forum blowjob, please.

Then go post in E/N about your brain problems (And your penis problems)

• Locked thread