Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Y'know, I wouldn't put someone called "Senilius" in charge of a distant excavation in a place full of killer robots and lethal deathtraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
For all we know, Trebonius could have chosen some random people to excavate and later told Edwinna to take over. Or some Dunmer picked specifically n'wahs.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
One thing I love about this game is that the dunmer are assholes to you even if you're a dunmer too, since you don't have sandstorm scars and a 12 pack-a-day smoker voice from breathing volcanic ash for years. Bloody tourists.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Gridlocked posted:

Poisons don't do poo poo in Morrowind sadly. Except make for something to sell.

Potions can do amazing things in Morrowind, you just have to know how to exploit the alchemy system.

Make a buff alchemy potion, embibe, make an even stronger buff alchemy potion, embibe, repeat until alchemy skill is ridiculously high. Then make your super awesome healing potion that lasts for hours.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Heir03 posted:

Potions can do amazing things in Morrowind, you just have to know how to exploit the alchemy system.

Make a buff alchemy potion, embibe, make an even stronger buff alchemy potion, embibe, repeat until alchemy skill is ridiculously high. Then make your super awesome healing potion that lasts for hours.
Poisons not potions.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Poisons not potions.

I suppose I should start breaking the game somewhere, maybe I should start with alchemy (assuming I can get all the ingredients I need). A sufficiently powerful Damage Health could knock down anyone.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ScreamingLlama posted:

I suppose I should start breaking the game somewhere, maybe I should start with alchemy (assuming I can get all the ingredients I need). A sufficiently powerful Damage Health could knock down anyone.
But why would you make a Damage Health poison powerful enought to kill Bjorca?
There are plenty of ways to die in this game already. :v:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

radintorov posted:

But why would you make a Damage Health poison powerful enought to kill Bjorca?
There are plenty of ways to die in this game already. :v:

To be honest, Bjorca's plenty squishy anyway. It took about a dozen attempts to kill that second Dremora at the Daedric shrine. If it's not possible to poison a weapon in Morrowind, there's always the trick of reverse-pickpocketing a poison onto someone.

edit to add: A bit of fridge logic here: every time Bjorca casts Almsivi Intervention, she's literally being rescued by an act of God.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gods. And they're dicks.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It could be worse. At least Molag Bal's not involved.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

ScreamingLlama posted:

I suppose I should start breaking the game somewhere, maybe I should start with alchemy (assuming I can get all the ingredients I need). A sufficiently powerful Restore Health could make anyone functionally immortal.

This is probably more how its going to end up working

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Pvt.Scott posted:

One thing I love about this game is that the dunmer are assholes to you even if you're a dunmer too, since you don't have sandstorm scars and a 12 pack-a-day smoker voice from breathing volcanic ash for years. Bloody tourists.

Baint nowt worse than grockles, boi. When you put your finger in the woodpecker's hole, last straw is that crow knowing you be after 'ee.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

ScreamingLlama posted:

To be honest, Bjorca's plenty squishy anyway. It took about a dozen attempts to kill that second Dremora at the Daedric shrine. If it's not possible to poison a weapon in Morrowind, there's always the trick of reverse-pickpocketing a poison onto someone.

Poison is a regular damage type in Morrowind, and reverse pickpockting rarely works, as NPCs don't really have schedules. If you have trouble surviving, enchant a strong weapon that restores your health on hit.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The odd thing with damage spell rings, Llama, that you might have noticed, is they have a tinytiny cast time (a bunch are Touch which can be tricksy too). This means a few rings of doing damage lets you nuke down most targets by emptying their charges in seconds. Though, it mostly shines if they are stationary at the time.

A huge hammer is probably more statisfying though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Absorb Health is probably the most absurdly broken thing you can put on a weapon.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Absorb Health is probably the most absurdly broken thing you can put on a weapon.

This is my go-to move when I play. Keep it charged and you'll end up winning most scuffles with full health.

Low HP but out of potions? GET IN A FIGHT :black101:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thing about is that if I remember correctly, enemies can't resist it since it's a drain attribute.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
As an Atronach, some kind of restore magicka potion might help too?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is my go-to move when I play. Keep it charged and you'll end up winning most scuffles with full health.

I prefer a constant effect restore health + restore fatigue on a ring. All you ever have to do is dodge for a little while and you're good to go again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
CE restore fatigue is usually one of the first enchanted items I make; it's extremely useful and doesn't break the game. CE healing, well, that's immortality given the lack of enemy AI.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Two words: Icarian Flight.

Icarian Flight might be a bad idea (until you learn Slowfall for the way down), but Leap is certainly worth checking out. It's a more down-to-earth spell that more or less imbues your character with the leg strength of a Mario Brother.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

And it lovely compensates for levitation ban in Mournhold.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If only it were possible to add enchantments to already enchanted weapons, then I could just add Absorb Health to the Wizard's Staff.

The trouble right now is I have a hard enough time just scraping together the soul gems to keep my current equipment charged.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Magic items regenerate their charge over time in this game, actually. Just wait around a while and they'll be in top shape.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That takes days of waiting and I have poo poo to do. It's too bad there's no-one you can pay to recharge your items for you like in Oblivion. That mechanic is expensive, but incredibly handy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You don't have any time-sensitive poo poo to do, do you?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really, the best way to get soul gems is raiding smuggler lairs. You can usually find at least a couple in there.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

You don't have any time-sensitive poo poo to do, do you?

No, but that's not the point. I want to get poo poo done sometime this era. I have entertained the idea of renting a room somewhere (or just returning to Sulipund) and leaving the game running overnight in real time.

Chapter XIII: For Want Of A Soul Gem

GET OUT OF IT YOU FLAPPY BASTARD :argh:

Rested and recharged, I continue down the foyada.

Fun fact about scribs: if you're an Atronach, there's a good change they'll give you a bit of magicka back.

Trudging along the scorched earth takes me past a Dwemer ruin, but sadly it's not the one I'm after.

The foyada ends at the northern shoreline, with a shipwreck sitting quietly in the shallows.

Plenty of loot to be had. I guess the locals don't think much of wrecked ships.

SLAUGHTERFISH KILL KILL KILL

There's got to be something good in there...

Well, that didn't work.

That doesn't work either. Well, crap.

Fortunately there are other parts of the wreck to explore.

:orks101:

I'm getting loaded down, so a bit of grinding is called for.

I Mark the spot, then settle down for a rest.

I need to focus on INT and CON from here on in, since those attributes are needed to advance further in the Mages' Guild. Plus STR for carrying stuff and fighting.

Not again! I really should deal with the DB contract soon, this is getting out of hand.

Almsivi Intervention dumps me in Gnisis.

I HATE Gnisis. The local temple sucks...

...the merchants suck...

...and so does their merch.

The siltstrider is pretty much the only good thing about Gnisis, since it allows you to leave.

Back in Ald'ruhn, I pop into the temple, then go hunting for the soul gems I desperately need.

If any place has soul gems, surely it'll be the Vivec guildhall, right?

Wrong. Maybe I'll get lucky and Galbedir the Clueless will have a few stashed away.

Thank Vivec for Galbedir.

It's not much, but it should get me across the Sea of Ghosts.

Meanwhile, Ajira's got what else I need. Good kitty!

Back at the shipwreck north of Maar Gan, I take to the air and fly northeast.

My magicka refilled, I experiment with stacking spell and item effects. 11 points of Levitation is noticeably faster, but the spell only lasts 25% as long as the staff effect.

Eventually the staff gives out and I have to land on a small islet halfway to my destination.

Mark, intervention... WHY AM I IN BLOODY GNISIS AGAIN

Back in Ald'ruhn, I've collected a bunch of cliff racer plumes and trama root, which go well together into Levitate potions.

Having gathered a meagre amount of fresh supplies, I return to the islet.

One charge on the staff should be enough to island-hop a little closer. Where are the filled grand soul gems when you need them!?

That looks like a suitable landing site...

...except it's a daedric shrine and the clannfear at the bottom will almost certainly eat me.

With the help of a levitiation spell, I hop onto an adjacent rocky outcropping and rest a while.

...almost...there...

I just make it onto the main island where the ruin is.

At least I can work on my Destruction skill here.

Bjorca: Thanks for the magicka, pest. You can die now. *crunch*

I can see why they call this place the Sheogorad: it looks like a much less garish version of the Mania region of the Shivering Isles.

I turned on the real-time shadows and extended the field of view. Looks great, doesn't it?

Third-person combat never looked so good.

I don't think I got this shot quite right. The spell effects look pretty cool, given the age of this game.

I still haven't found the ruin, but I did find the hamlet of Dagon Fel.

Gods, what a name for an inn. :staredog:

We're totally going to Solstheim at some point

This area is a PITA to navigate, but eventually I find the ruin I'm looking for tucked away in a volcanic crater. Oh, gee, dwarves, that's a great place to put a stronghold. It's totally not going to explode and wreck your poo poo or anything... but Red Mountain totally will in a few years

Mzuleft is already in pretty bad shape. It takes me a while to fight off the wildlife and find the front door.

Here we go.

Bjorca: Hellooooo?

*buzzing of light fixtures*

This arsehole hits like a runaway freight train. I had to use the Amulet of Shadows just to give myself a fighting chance.

Bjorca: Now you see me, now you don't!

Mugdul gro-Yagarz: Help! A ghost!

Bjorca: TRIBUNAL GUIDE ME :black101:

Mugdul gro-Yagarz: Malacath save us! The Dwemer have returned!

Bjorca: Gods' goolies, no wonder he hit so hard. I'm not waiting around for his buddies to finish me off.

I might need this if I ever come back for the rest of the loot.

And I DEFINITELY need this.

Back in a jiffy.

*a moment later*

Edwinna:

Bjorca: I found the blueprints. I don't recommend you - or anyone else - ever go near Mzuleft again, though.

Edwinna:

Having temporarily sated Edwinna's appetite for all things Dwemer, I work on creating a levitation spell that won't break the bank or leave me stranded.

Coming soon: our last quest for Edwinna, and then we're off to Ebonheart.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Hey so if you find yourself in gnisis again you should go back to the temple and click on the shrine of the mask more than once. Also Gnisis is the tits, its got telvanni, dwemer ruins, you can join the legion with all your orc bros, there's something for everyone.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

ScreamingLlama posted:

No, but that's not the point. I want to get poo poo done sometime this era. I have entertained the idea of renting a room somewhere (or just returning to Sulipund) and leaving the game running overnight in real time.

Not sure if this is sarcasm...but can't you just use the rest command to get your enchanted stuff to recharge?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, but every time I rest, there's a chance of being rudely awoken and attacked, if not by the Dark Brotherhood then by the local wildlife.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

It's not THAT much trouble to make an appearance in Ebonheart for mainland stage. Besides, those are good septim :20bux:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Relentless assassin attacks are a source of excellent light armor, combat experience and giant piles of cash. Honestly, putting off the quest to deal with them is just a sound financial strategy.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Gnisis is not the worst.

Gnisis is far from the worst.

Go back to that temple of the Mask and activate the off-coloured panels of the shrine again.

Enjoy all the free magic you need.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really, GET TO THE loving MASK ALREADY.
People like you are the reason why Bethesda doesn't bother with subtlety anymore and all the post-Morrowind TES games are poo poo.
Well, it's more likely to be people like Todd Howard, but still, go check that mask.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Holy crap bro, calm down.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I started playing skyrim for the first time ever, and - for me at least - it's so far not as fun as Morrowind. I miss Morrowind. :saddowns:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Smoke one of the legendary Elder Bowls and just go with the flow. :420:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pvt.Scott posted:

Smoke one of the legendary Elder Bowls and just go with the flow. :420:

gently caress that, in Morrowind you can just eat fuckin' Moon Sugar.

It's basically magical cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

gently caress that, in Morrowind you can just eat fuckin' Moon Sugar.

It's basically magical cocaine.

:catdrugs:

• Locked thread