Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

I am going to sign up with the Mages Guild, but there's stuff to do around Seyda Neen first, like Addamasartus. I only really wanted to get the start of the main quest out of the way so I could fart around the coast for a while. Once you check in with Caius Cosades, you're pretty much free to do as you please, then come back and get your first set of orders when you're ready.

Like others have said, the very first Mages Guild quest is going to ask you to go right back to Seyda Neen again. (Technically you don't have to do it there, but it's convenient.)

Also I touched on this in the previous thread, but I'm seeing an awful lot of trading going on with low fatigue. :v:

UESPWiki posted:

Surprisingly, even Mercantile is affected by fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Guy Fawkes posted:

Not only at home: the first time I died in this game was because I tried one of the scrolls; pointing towards the sea direction was not enough.

By the way, the fastest Morrowind speedrun I've ever seen (6-7 minutes) makes an incredible use of them.

I've seen that; they make this incredible jump into the void, landing perfectly in a particular 'late-game' area.

A bit of technical trivia on the Tarhiel encounter: if you look at your character's face using the third-person camera while Tarhiel is screaming, you'll see your character's mouth moving as if they are the one screaming. (And I guess they must be, behind the scenes.)

The same thing happens when Daedric princes speak to you through their shrines.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's not hugely important, but Galbedir's a Bosmer, not an Altmer.

Also, all this respecting the Mages Guild Oath bit about not stealing from other members is making me feel sort of guilty for almost always stealing those filled soul gems on Galbedir's desk when she goes downstairs during that quest. In my defence though, they're worth a fortune.

Recruiting/debt collection combo sounds good.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nope - though Altmer mages are more common than Bosmer mages (racial affinities and all that), so I guess it's an easy mistake to make.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

GuyUpNorth posted:

Just telling you N'wah why Telvanni is the best

[snip]

Uncle Crassius can't compare.

The more you know about what that image is depicting, the creepier it is.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

double nine posted:

The big disappointment about athletics and acrobatics is that, the devs never made environments where you gained an advantage from using them. That is, there are no vertically designed tombs/towns and there is a severe detriment of loot you can only get by platforming. In my mind, acrobatics should be very useful for a cat burglar but neither the toolset the game gives nor the environment allows for such a fantasy/roleplay.

There are some vertically-oriented areas like this - where levitation or insane jump height is required or very useful - but yeah, it's definitely not a Metroidvania sort of thing. (Which is fine by me, really.)

Still, in Morrowind, high level characters that are perhaps also vampires or werewolves get ridiculous running speed and jump height/distance. You can run like the wind, literally leap over mountains, jump from the top of one canton in Vivec to the next... it's amazing. You almost become your own fast-travel system, powered by your legs. :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

I tried to kill this oval office dozens of times. DOZENS. Eventually I gave up and bribed her into giving me the money. (Bribing someone... with money... so they will give you more money? Someone didn't think this quest through enough... :psyduck: )

On the off chance someone unfamiliar with Morrowind's dialogue system sees this and gets the wrong idea, the quest doesn't include specific conversation options to bribe her; it's just that the game lets you attempt to bribe virtually anyone to improve their opinion of you (represented by the blue percentage bar above 'Persuasion'). You can also do things like cast a charm spell on the character, or try your luck with straight flattery attempts.

But yeah, sometimes it happens that bribery is a little weird in context.

Anyway, help the Naked Nord.

Edit: Right, Ranis Athrys... she's pretty horrible. It's nice that the game gives you the freedom to not be as nasty as she's asking you to be, while still fulfilling her requests. I don't think I've ever actually seen all these mean outcomes to her quests.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 5, 2014

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

Safely back in Caldera, I trade in the pilfered ebony-

Bjorca: ARE YOU making GBS threads ME THAT STUFF IS WORTH 1200 SEPTIMS TOTAL :stonk:

Verick Gemain: Not with a Mercantile skill like yours, it isn't. Look, I'll make it an extra five septims, but that's it. Take it or leave it, Orc.

Bjorca: You're lucky there's an Imperial Guard standing behind me, otherwise I would make a very messy and bloody example of you. Fine, I'll take the deal.

And not with zero stamina, either. ;) I know you said you don't care about that, but if it does annoy you, then catching your breath first is a thing you can do (at least with high-value trades, let's say).

Unload My Head posted:

How vanilla is this game, Llama? Are you running the official plugin set? If so, there is someone in the Caldera guild you should talk to about that Index.

I was going to say the same thing. It's a pretty useful quest to do - and would make having cast Mark in the Caldera Mages Guild even more useful. The quest also gives you a way to find those Indices without relying on pure dumb luck (x 10), foreknowledge, or looking up a wiki.

ScreamingLlama posted:

More vanilla than a couple who have sex once a month in the missionary position while thinking of England. I didn't get the plugins. I thought about it, but ultimately didn't bother.

That's weird; I could have sworn I saw an NPC in an earlier update mention Fort Firemoth, which would point to having Siege at Firemoth installed. Or maybe I'm misremembering and it was Frostmoth - which is from Bloodmoon.

There's some good stuff in the official add-ons, anyway. It's easy to forget that - in a way - Bethsoft didn't kick off their DLC efforts with the infamous Horse Armour pack for Oblivion; they started with Morrowind, and the add-ons were all free.

Edit: Oh yeah, get jobs at another guild.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
For what it's worth, they're broadly divided into archetypes like this:

Hlaalu = Rogue
Redoran = Warrior
Telvanni = Mage

So I guess Telvanni - or maybe Redoran to a lesser extent - would make sense for Bjorca in that context. I always found the Telvanni the most interesting, personally.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Daedric comes after ebony, then there's the artefacts.

I think a plain, un-enchanted Daedric katana was usually my weapon of choice. Enchantments could run out, be reflected, absorbed, etc.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You were flying around everywhere with a 1pt levitation effect? You must be much more patient than I am, because with 1pt that is slooooooow. Okay in a pinch if you absolutely have to get somewhere you couldn't get to otherwise, but I personally favoured using a jump spell over levitation. Getting both a decent magnitude (translates to speed) and duration on a levitation spell without it being too difficult/expensive to cast wasn't really feasible, as I remember it.

A jump spell is much faster, and you can make a high magnitude, low duration one and then cast it just before jumping. Breaking your fall is the obvious problem then. If you think you can get the timing right, you can cast a levitation spell while in mid-air (using an enchantment would be easier I guess, since they trigger instantly), or - my preferred approach - get a constant effect 1pt slowfall enchantment on something.

... I do miss spell creation and (more flexible) enchantment in Skyrim.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
In 2008 I was fortunate enough to go along to the GDC in San Francisco, and while I was there I attended a talk given by Ken Rolston (lead designer of Morrowind and Oblivion) and Mark Nelson (designer on Morrowind and Oblivion, lead designer of Shivering Isles). It was on designing games in a sort of procedural way starting with the game-world (the Morrowind approach), versus starting with the narrative (the Oblivion/Shivering Isles approach).

Anyway, at the end there was a short Q&A session, and someone in the crowd said that if he ever got the chance, he had always wanted to try the Oblivion persuasion wheel on its designers; so he did. It was taken in fairly good humour, with Ken Rolston miming pressing the button for security (but yeah, it did show how silly the persuasion wheel is if you think about it).

Another highlight was Ken and Mark commenting on Morrowind versus Oblivion. They said that the general feeling at Bethsoft was that it had been the right choice to go with the milquetoast generic fantasy setting/aesthetic/etc for Oblivion - after the unique, interesting and alien setting of Morrowind - as Oblivion sold really well... though on an artistic level they hated themselves for it.

Anyway, yeah; persuasion in Morrowind... it's not that great either, in practice. After my first playthrough, in which I didn't use magic at all, I started using magic for everything, because wow is it useful. You can make a high power Charm spell with a very low duration, and just initiate conversation with the target immediately after casting it, as time pauses during conversations. Instant maxed-out disposition! And as mentioned, if you need to kill a character "legally", Frenzy spells are great because "I don't know what happened, guardsman; he just up and attacked me with no provocation" - and they don't need a very long duration either, because once you're fighting someone, they're not likely to calm down.

And if you do need them to calm down for whatever reason; Calm spells. Magic is great.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't know about a video (you have to remember, this was early 2008), but it turns out there's an audio recording of the talk here. There's also the powerpoint presentation it seems, but I don't have powerpoint so I can't really vouch for that.

Anyway, the persuasion wheel bit was at around 54:40, if anyone cares. I think you probably had to be there, though.

It'll be interesting to listen to that recording, actually. I didn't realise it was there; I only had my crappy notes from the day.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I can't remember; do you have the Master Index official add-on? Neither finding or making use of the propylon indices is really viable without it.

And yeah... I remember having to avert my eyes in the propylon chambers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's not totally impossible to make use of the Propylon Indices without the Master Index add-on... but it's impractical enough that it may as well be. Basically you'll just never find the Indices, as there's not even a hint as to where they are without that add-on. Barring foreknowledge, they could be anywhere on Vvardenfell for all you know. They're also about the size and colour of half a rotten banana, so they don't exactly stick out.

Even if you do find them, to use them without the Master Index you have to go to a Propylon chamber (if you know where one is) and use one of the two pylons in it to take you to another specific chamber. Then repeat until you've gone around the "Propylon circle" to the place you want to be.

With the Master Index, you just (this is mentioned in the readme) ask Folms Mirel in the Caldera Mages Guild to teleport to a Propylon chamber of your choice - where you can activate one of the pylons to go back again if you want.

There's some general (spoilerish) info here.

• Locked thread