Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I liked it because Geralt was a pretty fleshed out protagonist that had a life before you started controlling him. I also played it with a gamepad because it was like 2012-2013 and I'm not a huge rear end nerd and can afford like 40 dollars or whatever

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

redweird posted:

I liked it because Geralt was a pretty fleshed out protagonist that had a life before you started controlling him. I also played it with a gamepad because it was like 2012-2013 and I'm not a huge rear end nerd and can afford like 40 dollars or whatever

What does this even mean.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

redweird posted:

What?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Thug Lessons posted:

One of the great reasons to like this game is I want to have sex with Geralt.

Why do we get so many tits in Witcher 2 but no geralt dick.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It's better than the first Witcher but still kind of boring all-around, and the Witcher universe lore stuff or whatever is not interesting at all so it can't get carried by plot/setting

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I guess people like the writing and poo poo but I don't get it. Everyone talks like that one goon in every Games or GBS thread who calls things "Goblin-loving Cuntfart" and says phrases like "I'd be up a right wretched troll's bleeding arse hole" and stuff instead of talking like actual people talk, and also it's kind of generic fantasy stuff at that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oy, you whore mothered bastards can take a piss into the wind with yer little syphilitic fuckpipe, you rear end crown!

Made up just now on the spot, or an actual quote from the game and similar modern dark fantasy-set media? You decide.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*in pissed off old Chinese Grocer's voice* Hey you rittle rear end crowns, get the herr out my store.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

I guess people like the writing and poo poo but I don't get it. Everyone talks like that one goon in every Games or GBS thread who calls things "Goblin-loving Cuntfart" and says phrases like "I'd be up a right wretched troll's bleeding arse hole" and stuff instead of talking like actual people talk, and also it's kind of generic fantasy stuff at that.

It's Polish. *Shakes head sadly.*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It's Polish. *Shakes head sadly.*

lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like the story and characters and I think the level-up skill tree system is pretty good, and I like how you can craft some really cool weapons and armour by keeping special ingredients handy. But I won't be getting the next game because the attitudes about race and sexuality on display are exactly the sort of thing a gamergate nerd would invent as a fictional over the top example of what a SJW lefty sex-negative feminist thinks video games are like. Every single character in the game is white, and the women are either prostitutes or designed by men to be dressed like prostitutes which fans justify with poo poo like "uh yes they are powerful women so they like to get their tits out and show them to you, as a display of their power" and right now you probably think this is a troll post but it is in fact my actual opinion. If you don't like it, you can go straight to Hell.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Thjis game is considered a point of Polish national pride and a copy was given to Obama as a gift.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I like the story and characters and I think the level-up skill tree system is pretty good, and I like how you can craft some really cool weapons and armour by keeping special ingredients handy. But I won't be getting the next game because the attitudes about race and sexuality on display are exactly the sort of thing a gamergate nerd would invent as a fictional over the top example of what a SJW lefty sex-negative feminist thinks video games are like. Every single character in the game is white, and the women are either prostitutes or designed by men to be dressed like prostitutes which fans justify with poo poo like "uh yes they are powerful women so they like to get their tits out and show them to you, as a display of their power" and right now you probably think this is a troll post but it is in fact my actual opinion. If you don't like it, you can go straight to Hell.

I think this on top of being a Polish Touchstone of Culture must be why Baron Bonghits likes the game, because it is vile in every other respect though I do have to give it credit for allowing player influence on the cutscenes you get to see, like how I tried to get the prince killed by the mob in his disgruntled city by riling them up so I wouldn't have to fight him myself to get his blood and was pleasantly surprised that it ended up working in the end, which apparently never even occurred as a choice to some of the people watching me play it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's too bad cool stuff like that happens after really uncool, and irritating, and tedious stuff though. As I said before most of how I chose to Role Play in that game ended up being a matter of trying to avoid as much of playing the parts outside of cutscenes that I could get away with.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The thing I hated most about The Witcher, is that I have the Completionist AIDS so every time a new act started I had to stop playing because I just could not muster up the will to trudge around the lovely dungeon they use for every single quest over the next 10-15 hours of game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I stopped playing in Act 3, because the castle/city thing looked huge and I didn;t feel like trudging around and getting the quests to destory 40 troll asses to upgrade my pants.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I stopped playing in Act 3, because the castle/city thing looked huge and I didn;t feel like trudging around and getting the quests to destory 40 troll asses to upgrade my pants.

it's apparently actually really short

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

conceitedguy posted:

it's apparently actually really short

Someone already told me that, but I'd already uninstalled it.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

isn't the next one supposed to be open world?

I'm going to still buy it play it and then complain about something I have to mod in because working on a UI that doesn't work like garbage isn't a major important feature in how gameplay works.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_PGBDtQRhQ

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

ive never understood that

ugh why the gently caress would i want to play the game and fight a boss when i can just press buttons in the right order and win??

yeah but planescape: torment and all that

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Both Witchers seemed kind of lifeless and boring, but I got far enough into the first one to meet AHM HORNAY guy, so Witcher 1 is a solid C- in my book.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Has anyone read the books and knows if they are generic boring fantasy stuff as well?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm sure someone has to read the books to make sure.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It can't be possible for them to be anything but

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The Witcher 2 is so bad it makes me worried they're going to somehow gently caress up Cyberpunk 2077.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Why did they release a cp2077 teaser and then nothing for over a year. This is bs.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Did it to attract talent because the current team has none

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

witcher 2 is a boring bad game with a plain story heh *goes back to playing final fantasy like a loving nerd*

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
How many Dragonlance books do you own? Do you make a little fort out of them to game in? Then do we ever have a game for you!

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

it's not a bad game by any means it is just receives unwarranted praise as some great step forward in RPGs when it is just a linear triple AAA game centered around setpieces and people forget this

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

2house2fly posted:

This is pathetic

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

2house2fly posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

it's not a bad game by any means it is just receives unwarranted praise as some great step forward in RPGs when it is just a linear triple AAA game centered around setpieces and people forget this

oh yeah, it didn't save gaming or anything. i picked it up for 10 dollars on a steam sale and had a lot of fun with it (after you get the quick roll), the writing is nice for a videogame (which means i didnt loving cringe the whole time) but it's not some timeless gem.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Well, this game's core gameplay is solid, its inventory system is managed well and it has a robust crafting system, I like the characters, and the graphics and it's a decent rpg all around, but its failure to represent social issues appropriately is very lacking. Ugh...

4/10

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
poo poo like this is why Witcher 2 is good

No long post needed

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
In the original version of the witcher 1 before they improved the voice acting the werewolf's voice acting is one of the funniest things Ive ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

SarutosZero posted:

In the original version of the witcher 1 before they improved the voice acting the werewolf's voice acting is one of the funniest things Ive ever heard

do you have a video/audio link?

• Locked thread