Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I found this yesterday and watched it all in one go. Ruined my night completely, but thanks nonetheless. This is actually the first horror game I've ever seen that actually lives up to the name. I'm actually a bit disturbed still, a day later. Sorry about this guys, but I gotta. I haven't watched the bonus video yet, but here's a huge carepost with spoilers and poo poo.

This game is amazing, but feels a bit sort, like a novella, and iike a novella (and contrary to a novel that's expected to end on a high note, all problems solved) it is permitted to end in confusion or uncertain disaster, which I think this game uses to great effect. I think maybe specops: the line might rival this in terms of mindfuckery, but I think this is more elegant in its delivery.

I had some theories regarding the story around episode 2 or 3 that I think were in the right neighorhood, like he has an alcoholic aunt, or they lost his elder sister in a drowning accident, but as the last episode pulled the curtain away it rapidly became obvious that I fail the Occams razor test for lack of cynicism.

My guess is
* Teddy flying off is drunk mommy sneaking in and taking him because she is jealous that we like daddy's gift so much.
* Mommy gets gross drunk person stuff all over Teddy and pops him in the washer.
* We discover Teddy is gone, get upset, and flip our crib.
* We are strong and crafty as poo poo. This is not the game being bad at toddlers, it a game about a strong, confused and crafty as gently caress toddler, in a poo poo out of luck situation, where toddlers tend to get strong, confused and crafty as gently caress. smith emote goes here.
* Mommy does not come, so we hide from drunk mommy.
* We're lonely and decide to spring Teddy from the washer.
* We play with Teddy and nice mommy stuff in the closet and finally go to sleep there, because it's safe in the closet, and we like having nice mommy stuff around, because it helps us remember nice mommy.
* Drunk mommy finds us and tries to take sodden and/or disgusting Teddy, but we won't let him go, getting his arm ripped off in the process.
* Drunk mommy flees the scene and spends the night a gross drunk agaist the kitchen counter, while we hide and sleep in the closet.
* We are two and all of these half dreamed impressions make us a jumbled mess that'll make some shrink very wealthy unravelling a bit down the line.
* Dad fetches us and may or may not get custody.
* :smith:

They did one hell of a job on the toddler in this one. The movement patterns are spot on, with his arms when he's climbing, and his patting his pajamas down when he's idling. It's all super consistent in hindsight, including the things that at first seem like idiosyncracies, like the kid likes to hide, likes the darkness, is two and clever as poo poo with his tossing balls, yanking the power cord to disable the electromagnetic lock on the washer, and pulling out drawers in patterns to reach the counter, but he never once says mommy, despite being two, like some diaper toting Freeman. He's adorable, poor thing. :smith:.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread