Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
salttotart
Mar 29, 2010

What's my favorite thing?

Cheez posted:

I was getting annoyed at the character constantly telling you about light and you doing nothing about it.

Also, it seems like this "prologue" is completely disconnected from the main game. Almost like it was a fangame or done by a different team. It really doesn't sound like it understands what the main game was about. And there's an unhealthy amount of real-life platforming and poltergeists knocking pretty much everything over. I don't think it did very well as extra content.

THIS POST CONTAINS HEAVY SPOILERS AND HYPOTHESES! IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THE VIDEOS AND WISH TO NOT BE SPOILED, DO NOT READ THIS POST!

While I agree that some of the elements they chose (like the weird poltergeist moments) weren't the same, the platforming is. We crawled over, through, and on top of everything over the course of the game. The increase of them in the Prologue was most likely due to it having to be in a house, a much smaller area than the other levels.

What it adds to the story makes sense though. Think about what we know from the main game (spoilers added for those who have not watched the last two videos):

1) Knocking at the door with a brief at the beginning, terse conversation that brings about a new gift.
2) The gift of teddy is the predominant "happy" feeling and safety element in the game.
3) In the spotlight section, the mother is saying things like "he'll never take you" and the like.
4) We find out in the end that our mother is an angry alcoholic which does not bring the feeling of happiness and safety.
5) We open the final door and is greeted with a adult male voice who knows exactly who we are, what the teddy is, and how it should look.

This is most likely our father. He gave teddy to us for our birthday.

I feel that the added prologue does a pretty good job of giving us an idea of how all of this came to pass. We see boxes everywhere that are going in number as time passes. We see phantoms of arguments and other instances of shown fear. We are wondering around rescuing our toys and gathering them up. It's dark and in the middle of a snowstorm. This is the opportune time for the mother and child to flee the home and the relationship[spoiler]. It appears from inference that the parents are [spoiler]currently in a custody battle. With what is left out of the overarching story, we have no way of telling which is worse: an angry alcoholic of a mother, or a father that our mother felt she had to flee from.

Sorry about all the spoiler tags, Rush_shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread