Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
As a consumer, I am outraged that I am paying less for [product]. Down with the monipisynolipsism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

maniacdevnull posted:

u got

cremnobbed

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Lol get hosed krugman. good luck arguing that theory of consumer harm in a court of law.

oh hey i'm sorry everyone. last time i bought a car i haggled the price down and I guess that hurt all car buyers ever because the manufacturer and dealer would have totally plowed that money into something amazing instead of one more line of coke for an executive.

also lol cremnob mad that Apple got its rear end whipped in a market.

cultural works are not analogous to cars, idiot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when we're talking about their distribution and costs then yeah, they're the same.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

woah i just remembered this https://github.com/zorn/MegaManEffect

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shaggar posted:

when we're talking about their distribution and costs then yeah, they're the same.

would you download a car

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

would you pirate windows 8.1

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ta-da~

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wouldn't pirate windows 8.1 either but not for any ethical reason

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
Krugman's a straight up troll. Accusing Amazon of exerting monopsony power over bougie, dinosaur publishers is calling the kettle black.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

Lol get hosed krugman. good luck arguing that theory of consumer harm in a court of law.

oh hey i'm sorry everyone. last time i bought a car i haggled the price down and I guess that hurt all car buyers ever because the manufacturer and dealer would have totally plowed that money into something amazing instead of one more line of coke for an executive.

also lol cremnob mad that Apple got its rear end whipped in a market.

this is a bad post cause u don't have the market power to control prices IDIOT

it has nothing to do with who's gonna do a cooler thing with the money or who u think "deserves" it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

cremnob posted:

this is a bad post

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

cremnob posted:

this is a bad post

appreciate the heads up but you don't need to preface your posts with a summary of the post

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

gas ban op

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2011/10/1-paul-krugman-is-right-2-if-you-think-paul-krugman-is-wrong-refer-to-1.html

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the whole distribution system relies on underpaid 'temp' labor with very little or no oversight and is incredibly hosed up to the workers in the warehouses and poo poo too

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

online bookselling, which has indeed been a good thing for many Americans
[citation needed]

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

the whole distribution system relies on underpaid 'temp' labor with very little or no oversight and is incredibly hosed up to the workers in the warehouses and poo poo too

manual labor job that requires no skills pays poorly and comes with few benefits, news at 11. amazon is hardly unique in that respect.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Gazpacho posted:

[citation needed]

true, it makes them easier for us to ignore

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

mmmmmm amazon's warehouses are especially horrible even compared to most distribution centers

of course they subcontract them to the lowest bidder so they can wash their hands of it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
"company does a lovely thing"
"so what, other companies also do lovely thing"
"oh ok i guess it doesn't matter then"

and thus the race to the bottom continued unabated

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if a company doesn't do a lovely thing then some other company will do the lovely thing and pass the savings on to the customers and become the market leader. this is the capitalistic ideal. stop being a commie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and then if the price of that labor is ever forced up it has a ceiling at wherever robot ROI is under 2 years.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

one of the anti-union guys here told me a story about how distribution center workers would strategically leave pallets in aisles during their lunch break to block the robots so they couldn't continue towing stuff around until the humans got back. half an hour later there's a line of a dozen robot forklifts stuck in an aisle honking at each other

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
kiva robots are p cool and if you ever get the change to visit a center in person they're p cool to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsMdN7HMuA

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8fDAFHdmAc
if this is the warehouse i'm thinking of it's like a mile from my apartment

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the stock music in this marketing vid is fuckin sick

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8fDAFHdmAc
if this is the warehouse i'm thinking of it's like a mile from my apartment

That's the one you're thinking of, I used to live in the "apartment community" right around the corner.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Moridin920 posted:

if workers feel they are being treated unfairly they can

• individually ask for better wages

• form a union and press for better compensation

• organize a strike

• quit and seek employment at a different business

• quit and form their own business

of course, these solutions require a modicum of self-respect, and a willingness to expend effort and endure discomfort

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

angry_keebler posted:

if workers feel they are being treated unfairly they can

• individually ask for better wages

• form a union and press for better compensation

• organize a strike

• quit and seek employment at a different business

• quit and form their own business

of course, these solutions require a modicum of self-respect, and a willingness to expend effort and endure discomfort

source your quotes please

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the employees at the giant eagle warehouse all seemed pretty happy and satisfied with their jobs. i also saw a lot of teamsters union material on the walls there. hmmm maybe that's related

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway if you really haven't heard the horror stories about amazon warehouses yet, enjoy http://articles.mcall.com/2011-09-18/news/mc-allentown-amazon-complaints-20110917_1_warehouse-workers-heat-stress-brutal-heat

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's the one you're thinking of, I used to live in the "apartment community" right around the corner.

wtf is an apartment community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

yeah that's p bad. there's also the case in the courts where they are being forced to wait in line up to an an hour after their shift to go through a mandatory anti theft screening and are of course not payed for their time. everyone knows being a warehouse worker sucks and you'll be taken advantage of. singling out just amazon for it is p dumb though.

• Locked thread