Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Sodium citrate to emulsify whole milk with equal parts gruyere and stilton. Let it cool in sheets and cut it into sandwich-sized slices. Two of them surrounded by buttered rye bread with some trimmed prosciutto di Parma and a tiny dollop of simple mayo in the middle and toasted in a sandwich press is the greatest way to use bread and cheese in the same dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Butch Cassidy posted:

Mustard. A smear of good, sharp mustard before grilling :colbert: And onions raw or caramelized are always welcome.

This. Some Dijon, black pepper, sharp cheddar, and a fried egg - over medium. The runny yolk just goes perfectly with the cheese and mustard.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

tonberrytoby posted:

I think I have never tried an actual American style Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
How do you do that actual grilling?
For the most similar thing I make I just put some cheese and other stuff on some buns, baguette or toast and put those in the oven like a pizza.

Grilled cheese sandwiches and cheesy bread are pretty different.
Here's the super basics:
Take your bread and butter one side.
Heat a pan on medium heat.
Put the bread butter side down and place the cheese on the slice.
Let it cook a bit until the side that's down is nice and toasted.
The cheese should start to be getting nice and melty at this point.
Butter your other slice of bread, throw it on the other and flip.
Grill that side until its toasted as well.

That's it. All of these other posts are just variations on this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
"Grilled" cheese is a misnomer because they're generally "griddled" cheese sandwiches, cooked on a flat surface.

My searzall came in and like anyone who gets a new toy I am playing around with it and made a broiled cheese sandwich (or what they'd call grilled in the UK):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivhy9Qjsk10

Gets it meltier than I could just using the pan's heat.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 24, 2014

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

tonberrytoby posted:

I think I have never tried an actual American style Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
How do you do that actual grilling?
For the most similar thing I make I just put some cheese and other stuff on some buns, baguette or toast and put those in the oven like a pizza.

I like Gruyvere or lots of similar local cheeses for my baked cheese on bread.

It's not actually grilled...my British husband gets on me all the time about calling it that. It's more of a toasted cheese sandwich, made in a pan that you then flip the sandwich to "fry" or "toast" it. It's an American thing...no idea why its called grilled when its not :) You can truly grill it though, but its not the same.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
For me it's about this simple rule: more cheese you can stuff in the sandwich(doesn't matter how crappy it is), the better the sandwich will be

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

RattiRatto posted:

For me it's about this simple rule: more cheese you can stuff in the sandwich(doesn't matter how crappy it is), the better the sandwich will be

That rules applies to pretty much most foods, not just sandwiches.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Adding cheese to foods is like jenga, you want to keep adding more but there's a point where it becomes too much and falls apart, and you're trying to guess where that threshold is.

Phaxtor
Sep 18, 2014

by XyloJW

Steve Yun posted:

Adding cheese to foods is like jenga, you want to keep adding more but there's a point where it becomes too much and falls apart, and you're trying to guess where that threshold is.

:agreed: Granted, pushing those limits is one of the most enjoyable food experiences one can have.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Sodium citrate to emulsify whole milk with equal parts gruyere and stilton. Let it cool in sheets and cut it into sandwich-sized slices. Two of them surrounded by buttered rye bread with some trimmed prosciutto di Parma and a tiny dollop of simple mayo in the middle and toasted in a sandwich press is the greatest way to use bread and cheese in the same dish.
What is the advantage of sodium citrate over the more traditional sodium bicarbonate here?
That Italian note sounds interesting. i will try it the next time I make something similar.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
That's a pretty good question. I've never actually used sodium bicarbonate to make cheese slices, but my guess is that they'll be more prone to getting greasy because the fats and milk solids will split when heated. If you've ever tried to make cheese on toast with just a slice of regular cheddar you should know what I mean. Sodium citrate leaves you with a much creamier, gooey slice pretty much regardless of what kind of cheese is actually in there.

Pretty much any emulsifying salt is going to have some degree of efficacy in blending cheeses into slices, but what really matters is the texture you end up with when you melt it. I've heard tell that better still for getting a gooey melted slice than sodium citrate is sodium hexametaphosphate if you can get your hands on it in sub-bulk quantities at a reasonable price.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That's a pretty good question. I've never actually used sodium bicarbonate to make cheese slices, but my guess is that they'll be more prone to getting greasy because the fats and milk solids will split when heated. If you've ever tried to make cheese on toast with just a slice of regular cheddar you should know what I mean. Sodium citrate leaves you with a much creamier, gooey slice pretty much regardless of what kind of cheese is actually in there.

Pretty much any emulsifying salt is going to have some degree of efficacy in blending cheeses into slices, but what really matters is the texture you end up with when you melt it. I've heard tell that better still for getting a gooey melted slice than sodium citrate is sodium hexametaphosphate if you can get your hands on it in sub-bulk quantities at a reasonable price.
Only time I tried this I used the traditional method like this guy: http://youtu.be/WjHotSnqk8I
I don't make it much myself because I can buy the result at the stores around here.
The result is probably too liquid to make a Grilled Cheese.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Croatoan posted:

It helps to have a good thick sturdy bread. Especially if you're grilling both sides. You want it to still be bread and not a buttery paste.

Also I have to disagree with the op on processed cheese. American cheese from the deli is totally different from the "singles" you get pre packaged from the dairy section. Deli american cheese is loving amazing on grilled cheese sandwiches.

This, 1000% this. Nothing melts better than a good american and it doesn't overwhelm the bread and butter flavor. I like mine with a nice high quality white or multigrain. Though honestly I prefer the white, it really brings out the flavor of the browned butter. I like to eat it with some tomato soup spiked with hot sauce and sometimes I add roasted pepper slices to the grilled cheese itself, just mildly spicy ones like jalapeņos.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Put sardines in your grilled chee.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I made grilled cheese for dinner because of this thread. Mozzarella with chopped parsley on rosemary bread.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hmm, a caprese grilled cheese sounds awesome. Kind of like a marghegrita pizza I guess.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Yeah, my favorite grilled cheese is pesto, tomato and mozzarella, but I don't have any really good tomatoes right now and the store was out of basil. Could probably do tomato sauce or something instead, but it's just not the same as a big fresh slice of tomato.

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
A trick I learned from someone I know is to get the pan buttered and ready to go, but to use mayonnaise on the outside of the sandwich instead of butter. It's easy to spread, and cooks up to be a perfect golden brown.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Sodium citrate to emulsify

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Smudgie Buggler posted:

LordHop
Oct 26, 2003
I mix mustard into melted butter and then brush that on my bread before dropping it into the pan.
Cooks illustrated ran an article last year on grilled cheese - Cheddar + Brie + Shallot + a little white wine. Whirl it round in the food processor to make a paste, and it is off to the races.

Fantastic (and surprisingly simple for CI!)

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Grilled cheese sandwiches in the news
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/nov/05/how-to-make-the-perfect-grilled-cheese-sandwich?CMP=fb_gu

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I did the mayo instead of butter thing, and it was amazing.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'd use it.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
There's precious little griddlin' going on here. Should this be the next cook or die?

Big Italian bread, mature English Cheddar, Butter.

Eaten with Late Season Tomato Soup.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cavenagh posted:

There's precious little griddlin' going on here. Should this be the next cook or die?

Big Italian bread, mature English Cheddar, Butter.

Eaten with Late Season Tomato Soup.

Sir I have inspected your technique and found it acceptable. Nice work.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm not married to any one grilled cheese. I am an equal opportunity grillist. A few things I've noticed in my experiments is that it is really important to manage moisture of the cheeses and flavor. Funky cheeses are great but are best paired with a relatively mild cheese like havarti or muenster (like pungent blues and stinky ripe cheeses) so that the flavor of the cheese isn't too overpowering. Moisture wise, gotta make sure you buffer very moist cheeses with dry ones. Bries, many blues, over ripe cheeses. Some sauces and moist fillings can help with over dry ones. as mentioned, mustards are good. Thin sliced fresh tomato is a favorite of mine.

I love using modernist cheese as a base. Gives you the kraft american cheese texture with whatever flavor cheese you want. You can also add other flavors like nuoc mam, herbs, chiles, wine/beer/cider, brandy, etc.

Another thing I like to do if I am using french rolls is to invert them. Slice them in half and butter the inside and place the cheese on the crust side and grill inside out. You get the nice griddled side and the cheese softens the crust side.

I also do "open faced" grilled cheese sandwiches. Sprinkle the cheese in a teflon pan and put the bread on top. When it's caramelized, flip it and crisp the other side in the rendered fat.

If you want to get "that" tomato soup flavor, the trick is pressure cooking. The flavor that campbells gets comes from the maillard reaction due to the pressure canning process. A pinch of baking powder with some tomatoes and cook under pressure should get you the flavor you're after

edit for links to infos
pressure maillard/caramelization
https://www.inkling.com/read/modernist-cuisine-at-home-myrhvold-bilet-1st/chapter-8/pressure-cooked-vegetable-soups

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/08/grilled-cheese-sandwiches-to-knock-your-socks-off/

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 11, 2014

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
My personal technique is to cook my grilled cheeses on a comal. I heat a cast iron skillet while the comal heats up. Once both are heated, I add my sandwich, then make an almost-panini grilled cheese by squishing the skillet on top of the grilled cheese on the comal.

Now I want a grilled cheese.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My hotel makes the best grilled cheese I've ever had in my life ... fontina, mozzarella and parmesan on local sourdough, served with tomato basil soup.

I think I need to have lunch in the hotel restaurant today, now.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

somuch_gravy posted:

A trick I learned from someone I know is to get the pan buttered and ready to go, but to use mayonnaise on the outside of the sandwich instead of butter. It's easy to spread, and cooks up to be a perfect golden brown.

Finally got around to trying this. Even got my Budget Bytes honey wheat to brown great when it is usually hesitant to toast.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For everyone talking about sodium citrate, I desperately want to try this, especially for smooth, melty macaroni and cheese. But where can you buy it for a reasonable price, aside from that $15 Modernist packet they sell on Amazon? Publix and Fresh Market have never heard of it, I checked a kosher market for "sour salt," but they said that is usually citric acid, and I haven't tried Whole Foods yet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

For everyone talking about sodium citrate, I desperately want to try this, especially for smooth, melty macaroni and cheese. But where can you buy it for a reasonable price, aside from that $15 Modernist packet they sell on Amazon? Publix and Fresh Market have never heard of it, I checked a kosher market for "sour salt," but they said that is usually citric acid, and I haven't tried Whole Foods yet.

8 ounces for $10, eligible for free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/16oz-Grade-Non-GMO-Sodium-Citrate/dp/B00D393SVS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1420255277&sr=8-9&keywords=sodium+citrate

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That link has a full 16 ounces for $13 shipped.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I've used those before and they are just a pain in the rear end to use, only real advantage they have is that you make a little bit less of a mess than with the standard methods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Senrab posted:

Am I the only one who likes gruyere grilled cheese? Sure, it's hard, but it melts fine if cut thin. And for bread, it must be sourdough.

gruyere, sourdough and a scoop of sauerkraut all day

• Locked thread