Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bread Set Jettison posted:

There is actually quite a bit you can do to mask the taste of medicine.

I haven't even started yet, but from what they explained to me a lot of how you mask the taste comes from the raw drug flavor itself. I remember my soon-to-be boss saying that Peach Flavor was very good for drugs with a sulfide characteristic (maybe sulfite?). Also he mentioned that if something is intensely bitter, you just increase the other basic taste flavors.

Its never about make a delicious meal, its about hiding everything disgusting about the medicine and making it palatable. The goal was never to make a 5 star meal but to flavor medicine so that it tastes good enough that you won't avoid taking it.

Although when I do end up starting, I'm banning cherry flavor. I'll update everyone about the ins and outs of the whole thing when I get there.

When I was on my pediatrics rotation in med school, we tasted a variety of the antibiotics and they were all god awful and some of us almost puked. Then we tried it with the flavor enhancers and even more of us almost puked. That poo poo is hard to make taste even palatable. Maybe its because adults palettes are more refined, but I don't know how kids can stomach certain types of antibiotics. Some are tolerable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread