Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I've read it already, but if I had the time I would take part in this just for the experience. It's really hard to know what to say about Finnegan's Wake, other than that it's really confusing and there are a lot of powerful images. The magic of it is that it bends your brain into seeing things that may or may not be there. It could be nonsense or it could be exactly what Joyce was trying to make you experience. Or you could be the only person to ever understand a certain part, and never know it.

I've also read all of In Search of Lost Time and it's long but completely incomparable to Finnegan's Wake because it's actually quite...let's say linear (hesitantly). I don't want to say it's less cerebral than Finnegan's Wake, only more emotional. It is indisputably one of the greatest creations of mankind. I can usually "get" why a book is called a masterpiece when I read it but I may not necessarily feel it. I feel the mastery of In Search of Lost Time.

The only book I have read as an adult and loved as much as Proust is David Copperfield. I feel they have the same magnitude of greatness, though are different for many reasons.

e:

Earwicker posted:

for anyone actually interested in reading the book I strongly suggest reading it with a guide. In particular I recommend A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake by the mythologist Joseph Campbell, which is in fact a pretty great read just in itself.

Do this.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

mallamp posted:

What's the point of reading super boring elitist book like this if you can't even brag about it? Anyone can say they've read this because there's no way to verify as it's just a huge pile of random sentences.

As Earwicker has said, it's actually not a huge pile of random sentences. It has a story, in fact, it has many stories. My only regret is that I didn't read it with a guide.

Also, I didn't just read it. I read it out loud. Don't be mad.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
A fun research project would be to examine how Finnegan's Wake makes people react, especially the people who've never read it. It's interesting that so many people seem to have such strong feelings about it.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 23, 2014

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
That image is...amazing.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Either English is not your first language or you are posting from a tablet or both, but either way, good post! When it's laid out that way it seems much simpler.

• Locked thread