Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

And we're off! Have fun everyone.

Ok, so first sentence. Like Ulysses, Dublin (and Ireland) becomes the backdrop for and embodiment of the (cultural) history of man. The river, and the flow of history, and the story of man, and the text of Finnegans Wake all begin with Adam and Eve, meander with semi-scrutable but indefinable intent and taken at a certain view all loop around in an ongoing, unfinished, unfinishable...something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

mdemone posted:

gently caress me I only just realized it's a plural and not a possessive. A declarative statement and not a modified noun.

On the topic of the title (and this reiterative interpretation, this endless cycling of readings and this constant awareness of ourselves doing this is, in some ways, Joyce's greatest achievement here: it demands a new kind of reading, a new kind understanding, a new kind of epistemology and hermeneutics): it's made me consider the many valences of "wake": funeral party (as the assumed but erroneous possessive might imply), awakening, one's historical imprint or trail (e.g. as a boat leaves in water).

And I take earwicker's point about reversing the primacy of Adam and its important connotations. What I was trying to say is that I think the opening sentence proclaims a strategy or process for reading; an endless, constantly backtracking, always reinterpreting, forever deferring one.

It's interesting that one of the footnotes for commodius vicus mentioned Giovanni Vico; he apparently said something to the effect that his Scienza Nuova was the only book readers would ever need (I suspect I'm butchering the meaning here, but my reference book is far away and it would be unco fashious to move across the room to check). I get the feeling that finnegans wake could fill that role: be endless read yet different every time

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Earwicker posted:

(its Giambattista by the way)

Yikes, no idea where I pulled Giovanni from.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

I've never read anything by Joyce before. Should I man the gently caress up and Finnegans Wake?

Definitely.

• Locked thread